Irish whisky questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We are off to the Irish Club at 1400 for a charity do.
I have never been there but assume they will have a range of whisky.
Any to look out for ?
Any to avoid*
How is a good one drunk ie drop of water? Ice?
*I do not like peaty whisky.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Dave, there is a difference between Irish whiskey and Scottish Whisky.
Check the spelling.

In general Irish whiskey is often triple distilled.

You will not get a really peaty Irish.

No expert here but a Bushmills 10 year old has always done me fine.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Bushmills' Black Bush is high on the list of my turn-to whisk(e)ys.

About 15 years ago Sainsburys used to sell a single malt from Cooley distillery for the price of a cheap blend. It was sold as an own brand, without explicitly acknowledging the distillery, though it's identity was pretty obvious, and that was excellent. Ownership has changed since then and I don't know what you can currently get along those lines.

One of the key elements of Irish Whiskey is a process called pot-still, which helps to define the character of highly popular whiskeys such as Powers. There are brands which I understand exhibit pot-still more directly, but I've yet to explore these. If I were going to an Irish do, and there's whiskey around, I'd be asking about pot-still.

Tullamore Dew is another for the list.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dave, there is a difference between Irish whiskey and Scottish Whisky.
Check the spelling.

In general Irish whiskey is often triple distilled.

You will not get a really peaty Irish.

No expert here but a Bushmills 10 year old has always done me fine.
The Managing Director of my last distillery was manager of Bushmills for a while in the 1960's. He was a purist who was very hot on quality rather than getting the maximum production efficiency as the two are not necessarily compatible. Things have probably changed now as accountants take a different view and seem to have gained control everywhere.

Pot Still is the type of still used to distill the whisk(e)y. They use Pot Stills in Scotland too!^_^
In terminology, "Pot Still" is used to describe (Irish) whiskies that do not use exclusively malted barley, instead using a mix of different grains, malted and unmalted. (The Scottish equivalent is "Malt".)
Scottish whiskies could (and indeed used to!) describe themselves as "Pot Still" whiskies at a time when Irish "Pot Still Whiskey" was top dog.

Irish whiskey can be peaty, Connemara (mentioned above) being the most common.

Whisk(e)y is an incredibly interesting subject with great history, lore and lots and lots of bull***t, but it's best enjoyed out of a glass.

Go and enjoy. Perhaps everything won't be to your taste but it's not going to be bad.

For my money, the ordinary, everyday Power's Gold Label is the quintessential drinking whiskey. Smooth, with a bit of bite.

Enjoy

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Bushmills' Black Bush is high on the list of my turn-to whisk(e)ys.

About 15 years ago Sainsburys used to sell a single malt from Cooley distillery for the price of a cheap blend. It was sold as an own brand, without explicitly acknowledging the distillery, though it's identity was pretty obvious, and that was excellent. Ownership has changed since then and I don't know what you can currently get along those lines.

One of the key elements of Irish Whiskey is a process called pot-still, which helps to define the character of highly popular whiskeys such as Powers. There are brands which I understand exhibit pot-still more directly, but I've yet to explore these. If I were going to an Irish do, and there's whiskey around, I'd be asking about pot-still.
All malt whisky or whiskey is distilled using pot stills. The variation comes from a variety of factors including the shape of the still.
Grain whisky is distilled in a rectifying column which is a different type of still and the same stills are used for gin or vodka. A lot of the flavour is lost as the alcohol content of the product from the still is higher.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Pot Still is the type of still used to distill the whisk(e)y. They use Pot Stills in Scotland too!^_^
In terminology, "Pot Still" is used to describe (Irish) whiskies that do not use exclusively malted barley, instead using a mix of different grains, malted and unmalted. (The Scottish equivalent is "Malt".)
Scottish whiskies could (and indeed used to!) describe themselves as "Pot Still" whiskies at a time when Irish "Pot Still Whiskey" was top dog.

Irish whiskey can be peaty, Connemara (mentioned above) being the most common.

Whisk(e)y is an incredibly interesting subject with great history, lore and lots and lots of bull***t, but it's best enjoyed out of a glass.

Go and enjoy. Perhaps everything won't be to your taste but it's not going to be bad.

For my money, the ordinary, everyday Power's Gold Label is the quintessential drinking whiskey. Smooth, with a bit of bite.

Enjoy
You are correct on the bull***t comment. I spent 20 years in the industry.

Top Bottom