Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
Earned a few new skills today, giving the road bike a bit of a refresh. Decided to tackle it myself.
Big chainring, Cassette, Chain, Jockey wheels.
Gear cables - 105 - glad I wasn't attempting it in the dark.
Brake cables - easy.
Bar tape - did run out a bit sooner than I'd planned - it'll be better next time!
For a 4 year old bike, ridden in all weathers in all seasons, the only cable that seemed like it needed replacing was the rear gear cable, slightly frayed at the STI end. The rest seemed to be in no poorer condition than their replacements. But it all looks good. Nice and white!

Morning all, as the weather is looking a bit rubbish for Sunday I have the following outing planned - early train from Motherwell to Balloch then cycle home. I reckon its about 50 miles.
However I have question about the route. In Dumbarton I believe there is a route using an old railway line which goes to Bowling, is this easy find and/or sign posted? Hopefully someone who has cycled this route recently can advise.
Also if anyone would like to join me Im planning on being at Balloch about 10am

Fubar

Guru
Morning all, as the weather is looking a bit rubbish for Sunday I have the following outing planned - early train from Motherwell to Balloch then cycle home. I reckon its about 50 miles.
However I have question about the route. In Dumbarton I believe there is a route using an old railway line which goes to Bowling, is this easy find and/or sign posted? Hopefully someone who has cycled this route recently can advise.
Also if anyone would like to join me Im planning on being at Balloch about 10am

@Harry_Palmer79 or @GlasgowFinn are probably your best bet - or @Edwardoka

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
In Dumbarton I believe there is a route using an old railway line which goes to Bowling,
I ride this route often.
You will find it with ease, follow the signs from Dumbarton town, maybe @Mad Doug Biker can meet you and point you in the right direction?
You know that from Balloch to Dumbarton there is a bit along the river Leven where cows are roaming free, right? :whistle:
Also be aware, if you are on skinny road bike tyres, broken glass can be expected in places, and, as @Harry_Palmer79 mentioned, it's a bit rough between Bowling and Clydebank.

I ride this route often.
You will find it with ease, follow the signs from Dumbarton town, maybe @Mad Doug Biker can meet you and point you in the right direction?
You know that from Balloch to Dumbarton there is a bit along the river Leven where cows are roaming free, right? :whistle:
Also be aware, if you are on skinny road bike tyres, broken glass can be expected in places, and, as @Harry_Palmer79 mentioned, it's a bit rough between Bowling and Clydebank.
Thanks Pat. I was going to use my winter bike which has Gatorskin tyres so hopefully a bit more glass resistance

If it's been raining resist the temptation to bypass the kissing gates on the Leven trail as it goes under the A82 here: https://goo.gl/maps/hFzdR

It gets seriously boggy and any time gained by avoiding this ridiculous, pointless piece of "infrastructure" will be lost.
Thanks Ed. Sounds like I could be in for an 'adventure'
Last time I cycled oout that way I was doing a TT on the A82. Can't remember the exact route but I think it started at Duck Bay, went down to the roundabout at Dumbarton then back up to finish opposite the youth hostel. Must have been 1988/89. That TT course doesn't get used any more as the road is too busy.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That TT course doesn't get used any more as the road is too busy.
You can see bits of the road from the parallel path, it's always busy.
I remember being driven down to the Loch, it's a fast road indeed.

Balloch to Motherwell done. Quite an interesting route but I dont think I'll be rushing to do it again. Pretty good surface the whole way apart from a few bits with glass round about Yoker and Scotstoun. Quite a few joggers, dog walkers and other cyclists but nothing too busy. And nobody mentioned the cows!!
Took me just over 2.5 hours and the weather turned out not too bad despite the heavy rain overnight

Brandane

Legendary Member
I need to go on a night ride soon! This is partially the fault of @Telemark for getting me hooked into the idea of cycling through the night, and partially the fault of @GlasgowFinn for having a Cateye volt 300 front light on the EdFOC night ride which was so impressive that I had to go and buy something similar. I have ended up with a Lezyne Macro Drive; and like a big kid I can't wait until winter and need to get out in the dark to play with it NOW :smile:. I am thinking my regular loop up around Loch Thom and Greenock might be a suitable route.

edindave

Über Member
I need to go on a night ride soon! This is partially the fault of @Telemark for getting me hooked into the idea of cycling through the night, and partially the fault of @GlasgowFinn for having a Cateye volt 300 front light on the EdFOC night ride which was so impressive that I had to go and buy something similar. I have ended up with a Lezyne Macro Drive; and like a big kid I can't wait until winter and need to get out in the dark to play with it NOW :smile:. I am thinking my regular loop up around Loch Thom and Greenock might be a suitable route.

Backup light, and an extra layer. That's all I'm going to say, apart from - great idea!

Top Bottom