Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I took my new commuter back to the Edinburgh Bike Co-op this morning - on the way to work the other morning the rear was making a rubbing noise, examined it at work and it was rubbing against the mudguard so I reseated the wheel as best I could in the dull underground car park. One the ride home the back wheel started to wobble at lower speeds making for a rather unpleasant commute, felt a bit ill when I got back. Turns out most of the spokes on the back wheel were really loose and the wheel is massively out, so much so I could tighten the spokes with my hand. Took it in first thing and it was the Deputy Manager who I spoke to, he seemed genuinely disappointed it had happened after 2 weeks and is going to get it looked at asap despite them having a 2-week lead for servicing, etc. Hope I get it back soon! I hate leaving my pride and joy in someone elses hands.

Fubar

Guru
There were dozens of cyclists out on Wednesday Ed, but that is the first time I've ever seen anyone joining from Mearns Road, although I occasionally do the reverse and leave there and go home by Mearns Road and Clarkston Road.

Oddly enough, I had another scary moment at the same spot a couple of weeks ago when I was again heading north, home, just past the pink house, and came round the bend, tight into the left, and met someone cycling up the way on the wrong side, ie straight in front of me. A newbie I think, judging from the Hi-Vis and the shiny bike, but that time I was able to swing out and round him.

As you mentioned earlier, it is quite a fast bend when you are heading north, and probably one that I will be quite circumspect about in future - well, for a week or two anyway:whistle:

Glad you're on the mend and the damage to the bike isn't too serious, hopefully.

Reactions: GBC

GBC

Veteran
I took my new commuter back to the Edinburgh Bike Co-op this morning - on the way to work the other morning the rear was making a rubbing noise, examined it at work and it was rubbing against the mudguard so I reseated the wheel as best I could in the dull underground car park. One the ride home the back wheel started to wobble at lower speeds making for a rather unpleasant commute, felt a bit ill when I got back. Turns out most of the spokes on the back wheel were really loose and the wheel is massively out, so much so I could tighten the spokes with my hand. Took it in first thing and it was the Deputy Manager who I spoke to, he seemed genuinely disappointed it had happened after 2 weeks and is going to get it looked at asap despite them having a 2-week lead for servicing, etc. Hope I get it back soon! I hate leaving my pride and joy in someone elses hands.

I had a similar experience not that long ago, when the back wheel started to rub on the mudguard. In this instance, it was the bearings that were the problem so I stripped it all down, replaced the bearings and re-built it. Worked a treat, but it is of course the same wheel that got bent on Wednesday and will be in the bin shortly.....just Sod's Law:rolleyes:

'Hope it's all sorted soon:smile:

Fubar

Guru
I had a similar experience not that long ago, when the back wheel started to rub on the mudguard. In this instance, it was the bearings that were the problem so I stripped it all down, replaced the bearings and re-built it. Worked a treat, but it is of course the same wheel that got bent on Wednesday and will be in the bin shortly.....just Sod's Law:rolleyes:

'Hope it's all sorted soon:smile:

Cheers George, he seemed confident I would get it back by Monday and said if they couldn't fix it they would just replace the wheel - I think truing a wheel is a bit beyond my ken at the moment but I did mark each of loose spokes with sellotape so half the job was done for them! ;) I've been enjoying my commutes and this is eating into my weekly mileage target now.

Col5632

Guru
Cheers George, he seemed confident I would get it back by Monday and said if they couldn't fix it they would just replace the wheel - I think truing a wheel is a bit beyond my ken at the moment but I did mark each of loose spokes with sellotape so half the job was done for them! ;) I've been enjoying my commutes and this is eating into my weekly mileage target now.

Not take the red beast while your other bike is being fixed? ;)

I have a feeling i'll be buying new wheels for mine soon, they just don't seem well built, the front seems fine but the back is making strange noises again which makes me think it could be being buckled/needing new bearings :cursing: Must get my other bike back in working order again just incase the triban needs to go in for work, only managed 40 odd miles this week and with SWMBO not working till tomorrow night i doubt ill get out tomorrow :cry:

GBC

Veteran
Not take the red beast while your other bike is being fixed? ;)

I have a feeling i'll be buying new wheels for mine soon, they just don't seem well built, the front seems fine but the back is making strange noises again which makes me think it could be being buckled/needing new bearings :cursing: Must get my other bike back in working order again just incase the triban needs to go in for work, only managed 40 odd miles this week and with SWMBO not working till tomorrow night i doubt ill get out tomorrow :cry:

Very easy to check if it's the bearings Colin, just hold the saddle in one hand, and the top of the wheel in the other. Try to rock the wheel from side to side and if there is any play, it will be the bearings. Unless it's a sealed cartridge, you can adjust them without even taking the wheel off.

I found the information at http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment very helpful and easy to understand:smile:

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I knew I wasn't feeling well last night when not only did I lack the strength to cycle, I also couldn't muster strength to online shop for cycling stuff :sad:

geeboy1970

I have had Ultegra wheels for 7 years now and the rims have finally reached there limit on wear.Probably done close to 20k miles on them and only replaced ball bearings once:thumbsup:.

Top Bottom