Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Alredy spreading @snorri!
I'm planning to take a rare weekend off work, ride to Edinburgh for Pop, ride back, then do the Glasgow PoP next day^_^

Slick

Guru
Don't think I could manage the Edinburgh one, but I could certainly manage the Glasgow one. Has anything changed since these rides started?

Pat "5mph"

Don't think I could manage the Edinburgh one, but I could certainly manage the Glasgow one. Has anything changed since these rides started?
Like what? SMIDSY? No, not yet :sad:
More people cycling? Yes, for sure, you can really notice it here in the outskirts where I live.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I think you can see it everywhere now, but I just wondered if PoP had achieved anything since its inception. There's plenty cyclists round here but zero cycling infrastructure, and certainly nothing between my home and my work.

Pat "5mph"

Yeah, I think you can see it everywhere now, but I just wondered if PoP had achieved anything since its inception. There's plenty cyclists round here but zero cycling infrastructure, and certainly nothing between my home and my work.
Well, I think, well actually I know because I asked the same question at a meeting we had in Glasgow, that the PoP role is to raise awareness, make noise if you will.
Other groups, like Spokes in Edinburgh or GoBike in Glasgow, do the practical stuff, consulting with the local authorities or opposing projects as the case may be.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What's that you say? Weegies make a lot of noise but the real work gets done in Edinburgh? Well I never!

Pat "5mph"

What's that you say? Weegies make a lot of noise but the real work gets done in Edinburgh? Well I never!
That's not what I said :boxing::tongue:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I think PoP has raised the profile/ needs of cycling/ cyclists in Scotland generally and the Government and local councils are much more aware that they need to take cyclists' voices seriously and into account when making their budgets and infrastructure plans. More established organisations like Spokes do the detailed work and do their best to hold the Lothian local authorities to account, as well as producing excellent cycling maps for the Lothians and Edinburgh ! :thumbsup:

PoP has also been a space to raise other cycling-related issues, like Road Share (Presumed Liability) and the We Walk, We Cycle, We Cote campaign.

This link to a PoP organisers' letter, dated 22 June 2016, might help too. :okay:

Top Bottom