Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So how was Strathaven? Looks like you got decent weather - I was wishing I had signed up, had to make do with a trip along to Largs...
The ride itself was good - only one short shower and light winds, and good roads - bar the usual poor surfaces but that is pretty much the general rule now. Good feed stations and well organised.
This is the third time I have done it, but probably the last. The reason being my fellow cyclists. What a generally miserable bunch of nobbers. No idea about keeping left on single track roads or singling down when people are trying to pass; no manners at feed stations regarding queuing and no apologies from some eejit who bumped into me quite forcefully. As for snot rocketers who don't check behind before firing one off :cursing:; I was a victim of TWO different ones. Discarded tubes at the side of the road; and just not a lot of etiquette going on. Surprising, given the amount of club colours on show (I am not a club rider).
I just felt today that there was not a good atmosphere about the ride and that for me makes it a non starter next year. Without the vibe, I can save myself the £20 and ride the roads whenever I choose.

classic33

Leg End Member
The ride itself was good - only one short shower and light winds, and good roads - bar the usual poor surfaces but that is pretty much the general rule now. Good feed stations and well organised.
This is the third time I have done it, but probably the last. The reason being my fellow cyclists. What a generally miserable bunch of nobbers. No idea about keeping left on single track roads or singling down when people are trying to pass; no manners at feed stations regarding queuing and no apologies from some eejit who bumped into me quite forcefully. As for snot rocketers who don't check behind before firing one off :cursing:; I was a victim of TWO different ones. Discarded tubes at the side of the road; and just not a lot of etiquette going on. Surprising, given the amount of club colours on show (I am not a club rider).
I just felt today that there was not a good atmosphere about the ride and that for me makes it a non starter next year. Without the vibe, I can save myself the £20 and ride the roads whenever I choose.
Did you get any for @Pat "5mph" to pass on, or repair?

Can I suggest that the thread be renamed, for historical purposes?
It's American.

Late (as always) on this one.
@ Brandane - I didn't find it as bad as you, in fact I rather enjoyed cycling it with my son. There were a few who lacked what I would consider etiquette, but I think it was largely ignorance; whatever, it didn't spoil the day.
I thought the level of support from marshals and tea stop hosts/ hostesses was pretty awesome too.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Late (as always) on this one.
@ Brandane - I didn't find it as bad as you, in fact I rather enjoyed cycling it with my son. There were a few who lacked what I would consider etiquette, but I think it was largely ignorance; whatever, it didn't spoil the day.
I thought the level of support from marshals and tea stop hosts/ hostesses was pretty awesome too.
Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed cycling it too and agree with you re the marshals, food stops and the general organisation of the event. It was just the selfishness of a seemingly large percentage of my fellow participants that put a bit of a dampener on the experience. I would enjoy cycling that route even more on any other given day of the year without them. I would obviously need to supply my own cake - or find a café in one of the wee towns that we passed through :okay:.

Fubar

Guru
Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed cycling it too and agree with you re the marshals, food stops and the general organisation of the event. It was just the selfishness of a seemingly large percentage of my fellow participants that put a bit of a dampener on the experience. I would enjoy cycling that route even more on any other given day of the year without them. I would obviously need to supply my own cake - or find a café in one of the wee towns that we passed through :okay:.

Hello Brandane... :biggrin: this is exactly what put me off doing sportives, too many inconsiderate/dangerous passes from those treating it as a race - maybe it's just an age thing...:laugh:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
20 days since the last post..C'mon I have to keep up with all the Scottish nonsense.
Get active, you lot:whistle:

22366618_10154819095875264_75681691383405207_n.jpg

My winter training bike is now in the stable!

Top Bottom