Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Is the road grit being rationed this year ?

In Glasgow it looks like the bus routes and not much else getting done.

I thought they only did the bus routes everywhere now, my street at top of a hill has not been gritted for years and I think it was only gritted in the past because the gritter driver stayed around the corner.

pjd57

Veteran
I thought they only did the bus routes everywhere now, my street at top of a hill has not been gritted for years and I think it was only gritted in the past because the gritter driver stayed around the corner.
Lot of my neighbours go on about getting the council to fill the grit bins.
I have resisted the urge to point out that once full the bin doesn't empty itself onto the street.
Some guy with a shovel ( usually me ) has to go out and do it.

Is the road grit being rationed this year ?

In Glasgow it looks like the bus routes and not much else getting done.
GCC have serious form with this. Shields Road in particular is a well-known ice blackspot.

A few times last year I worked weird shift patterns and on cold nights fairly main roads were glittering with black ice by 8 and remained ungritted all the way through.
The less said about the A77 cyclepath the better.

It's apparently my 5 year CycleChat anniversary, and I find myself lamenting that CC Ecosse appears to have largely disbanded and all the #bantz moved to the Other Place Where I No Longer Go.
If, hypothetically speaking, someone were to suggest a wintry CC Ecosse RV ride, would it get any potential attendees?
I don't want to embarrass myself by posting on the main rides forum and have zero responses...

Slick

Guru
It's apparently my 5 year CycleChat anniversary, and I find myself lamenting that CC Ecosse appears to have largely disbanded and all the #bantz moved to the Other Place Where I No Longer Go.
If, hypothetically speaking, someone were to suggest a wintry CC Ecosse RV ride, would it get any potential attendees?
I don't want to embarrass myself by posting on the main rides forum and have zero responses...
I missed out on a couple that was discussed on here earlier in the year due to waiting on others, so I reckon as long as it was at a time and date to suit, I would make an effort.

I missed out on a couple that was discussed on here earlier in the year due to waiting on others, so I reckon as long as it was at a time and date to suit, I would make an effort.
That's partly why I haven't posted in the main ride forum; I don't have any concrete preference for time/date/location. Only for fair weather and cake :hungry:

pjd57

Veteran
Distance and estimated speed might influence my answer .

MiK1138

Veteran
GCC have serious form with this. Shields Road in particular is a well-known ice blackspot.

A few times last year I worked weird shift patterns and on cold nights fairly main roads were glittering with black ice by 8 and remained ungritted all the way through.
The less said about the A77 cyclepath the better.
The SWCW is being upgraded to Priority 1 gritting so hopefully we will see a difference soon. the flood point at Shields Road is a nightmare.

A77 is split over 3 councils so no way that is ever going to be done properly. East Ren. claimed they couldn't do it because the lorry wont fit on the path, which is strange because everytime I use that path there is a bleddy lorry parked on it

Distance and estimated speed might influence my answer .
RV rides are a bit different insofar as due to limited daylight and potentially poor weather, they don't follow a set route, rather, a time and a place are chosen (namely, somewhere food can be obtained) and people make their own arrangements to get there and back.

I'd be hoping (but not guaranteeing) to run a feeder ride from Glasgow to the destination at an average of 12-13mph and a maximum distance of 30-40 miles in total. (whether this takes the form of riding one way to the destination and getting the train back or riding 15-20 miles each way depends upon where the destination is and personal choice.)

pjd57

Veteran
RV rides are a bit different insofar as due to limited daylight and potentially poor weather, they don't follow a set route, rather, a time and a place are chosen (namely, somewhere food can be obtained) and people make their own arrangements to get there and back.

I'd be hoping (but not guaranteeing) to run a feeder ride from Glasgow to the destination at an average of 12-13mph and a maximum distance of 30-40 miles in total. (whether this takes the form of riding one way to the destination and getting the train back or riding 15-20 miles each way depends upon where the destination is and personal choice.)

Sounds good.

I'd be in (work permitting).

Happy (belated) anniversary Ed.

"the Other Place Where I No Longer Go" and I don't know where you're talking about.

Top Bottom