Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
The Union canal isn't my idea of fun.
Winds all over the place and has 20 odd tight bridges , a couple of tunnels and three viaducts to negotiate.
The path isn't great either.
F&C to Falkirk is fine, as long as you don't get lost at Stockingfield junction in Maryhill.

@bruce1530

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Canal .... noooo lol you'll lose the will to live.
Route 75? not sure, have only done part of it, not as far as Edinburgh.
The best route imo is the Pedal for Scotland one, search Ride with GSP, many have uploaded.
Pick a PFS route from before 2016, I think the new one is hillier.
The PfS route will drop you at Murryfield, just ask for directions (or plot a route) to the canal, it's only about a mile away.
Follow the canal, to the city centre (I think it's about 5 miles), then follow the cycling route from the blue pedestrian bridge (you can't miss it) to the Meadows, then to Waverly railway station.
It's an adventure that I enjoyed doing.

Andy Guitar

It's not exactly Glasgow but think some Glasgow people might know best bike hire options for the Isle of `Cumbrie (Millport). I'm taking a few friends from abroad there soon.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not exactly Glasgow but think some Glasgow people might know best bike hire options for the Isle of `Cumbrie (Millport). I'm taking a few friends from abroad there soon.
I live in Largs, departure point for the Cumbrae ferry. Never hired a bike there as I take my own, but there are several hire shops. Don't expect a Pinarella Dogma, more hybrid style, but they look to be in reasonable condition. No idea re prices. Oh and you need to take a bus to/from the ferry to the town to get to the hire shops.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Regarding Glasgow bike hire, is it correct that the bikes around the city are free for Students to use? How does this work.
I don't know about students.
However, I have a code for a year's free hire, works across multiple hire bikes.
Will send you a pm.

bruce1530

Guru
Looks like Glasgow Uni have negotiated a “free” package with Nextbike. Strathclyde and Caledonian do half price subscription (£30/year).

That gives you the first half hour of your hire “free”, and then 50p/half hour thereafter,

Top Bottom