Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ach, I'm working the weekend, as usual, so just commuting for me.
Will go for a ride on a weekday instead.

Slioch

Guru
I'm coming up to Scotland tomorrow for a few days to attend a wedding at Comrie on Monday. Bringing my hardtail mountain bike to do a few routes, hangovers permitting. Weather forecast is looking good, so can't make my mind up whether to bring my thin long trousers or my shorts. Might just go with the shorts. What can go wrong in Perthshire in February :laugh:.

Looking forward to the "full scottish breakfast" the hotel is providing. Just hope it includes tattie scones and haggis

iandg

Legendary Member
I'm coming up to Scotland tomorrow for a few days to attend a wedding at Comrie on Monday. Bringing my hardtail mountain bike to do a few routes, hangovers permitting. Weather forecast is looking good, so can't make my mind up whether to bring my thin long trousers or my shorts. Might just go with the shorts. What can go wrong in Perthshire in February :laugh:.

Looking forward to the "full scottish breakfast" the hotel is providing. Just hope it includes tattie scones and haggis

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-smashes-maximum-temperature-record-for-february-1-4876990

Slioch

Guru
My auld granny used to say “don’t cast a cloot till May’s oot!”

I’d be bringing my full winter gear, gloves, buff, tights, the lot.

The sun may be out but the wind will freeze the snotters to you face.

Sensible advice. Been caught out on the hills in snowstorms in June/July before.
Might go with the thermal long johns with the MTB shorts on top. Not the coolest look, but it's not a fashion show, is it?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Remember last year, first week in March we got hit by a snow storm.
The weeks prior to that were quite mild too :smile:

pjd57

Veteran
Route advice please

Kelpies to Kincardine bridge

Forth road bridge back to Kelpies or the Falkirk Wheel

I fancy going from Glasgow to Kincardine bridge, few miles in Fife then over the Forth road bridge and back to the canal and home.
Probably May or June.

pjd57

Veteran
Remember last year, first week in March we got hit by a snow storm.
The weeks prior to that were quite mild too :smile:

My birthday run was supposed to be along the canal.....
Path had a couple of feet of snow on it.
Ended up going out to Fintry and on to the Lake of Menteith.
Roads were clear with huge piles of snow either side.

OldShep

Über Member
Two rides this week and on both rides came across signs trying to deter people from entering land. Not witnessed this type of behaviour before in this area. (Annandale). Is this another spin off from Brexit?
Research into today’s sign suggests the Irish Border might have already moved. B45F8CB7-0478-49A3-AD82-8DEC5C727170.jpeg

Two rides this week and on both rides came across signs trying to deter people from entering land. Not witnessed this type of behaviour before in this area. (Annandale). Is this another spin off from Brexit?
Research into today’s sign suggests the Irish Border might have already moved. View attachment 454186
Just an attempt by a curmudgeonly landowner to scare people off from exercising their right to roam. Using an item from the Irish statute books is an interesting one - probably picked up from the farming equivalent of mumsnet.

Seen a few signs of this nature when I was an active geocacher. The only things that would stop me were electric fences, crops, or animals. Having an entire herd of cows chasing you into a bog is strictly type 2 fun.

U

User6179

Route advice please

Kelpies to Kincardine bridge

Forth road bridge back to Kelpies or the Falkirk Wheel

I fancy going from Glasgow to Kincardine bridge, few miles in Fife then over the Forth road bridge and back to the canal and home.
Probably May or June.

From the kelpies head east on footpath along the River Carron for 200 yards until you hit the main road and turn left, then over the bridge and sharp right other side onto a cycle route, follow the cycle route to Kbridge

On the way back from FBridge I prefer to follow the cycle route for Edinburgh to Dalmeny then turn right onto Standingstane road( first right when you leave cycle path) then turn right at next junction and head to Kirkliston, from there to Linlithgow then head towards Falkirk taking a right at Laurieston which takes you back down to the Kelpies.

pjd57

Veteran
From the kelpies head east on footpath along the River Carron for 200 yards until you hit the main road and turn left, then over the bridge and sharp right other side onto a cycle route, follow the cycle route to Kbridge

On the way back from FBridge I prefer to follow the cycle route for Edinburgh to Dalmeny then turn right onto Standingstane road( first right when you leave cycle path) then turn right at next junction and head to Kirkliston, from there to Linlithgow then head towards Falkirk taking a right at Laurieston which takes you back down to the Kelpies.

Thanks for that. I will probably go through again soon and check the route as far as Kincardine.
Then another trip to check Falkirk wheel to Forth Bridge, then eventually put the pieces together.

U

User6179

Thanks for that. I will probably go through again soon and check the route as far as Kincardine.
Then another trip to check Falkirk wheel to Forth Bridge, then eventually put the pieces together.

There is a good cycle path from Clackmannan to Dunfermline as well worth considering for your route.

Top Bottom