Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just an attempt by a curmudgeonly landowner to scare people off from exercising their right to roam. Using an item from the Irish statute books is an interesting one - probably picked up from the farming equivalent of mumsnet.

Seen a few signs of this nature when I was an active geocacher. The only things that would stop me were electric fences, crops, or animals. Having an entire herd of cows chasing you into a bog is strictly type 2 fun.
It boils down to insurance. You have an accident, whilst on their land(Eire) they are liable. The exception being the "Mass Paths", which you've every legal right to use.

Wouldn't it be easier to let the cows into the bog first, or were you desperate?

It boils down to insurance. You have an accident, whilst on their land(Eire) they are liable. The exception being the "Mass Paths", which you've every legal right to use.

Given that the sign in question is in Southwest Scotland and not Ireland I'm not sure that Irish land laws apply :-p
There is a similar much earlier act that sets forth landowner liability in Scotland but the Land Reform Act Scotland 2003 introduced the right to roam and puts some limitations on it, so the "unauthorised access is prohibited" bit is bunkum. Where liability applies: if a roamer trod on e.g. a trap then the landowner would be subject to criminal charges, if someone fell into a ravine because of a missing fence or signpost then it would probably be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Wouldn't it be easier to let the cows into the bog first, or were you desperate?
Ha, not that kind of bog. Crossed a field and only discovered how close the groundwater was to the surface when I was halfway across. The cows in the field started converging on my position and even though they might have been placid, when 20 tons of beef is watching your every move and cantering towards you while you're up to your knees in mud it is better to flee than to see what they want

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Wee blether.jpg

Only in Scotland...
I was told it's mainly for pensioners...

aye, mate, I'm one...
I'll be back next week.
There's gotta be home baking involved:whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that the sign in question is in Southwest Scotland and not Ireland I'm not sure that Irish land laws apply :-p
There is a similar much earlier act that sets forth landowner liability in Scotland but the Land Reform Act Scotland 2003 introduced the right to roam and puts some limitations on it, so the "unauthorised access is prohibited" bit is bunkum. Where liability applies: if a roamer trod on e.g. a trap then the landowner would be subject to criminal charges, if someone fell into a ravine because of a missing fence or signpost then it would probably be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Ha, not that kind of bog. Crossed a field and only discovered how close the groundwater was to the surface when I was halfway across. The cows in the field started converging on my position and even though they might have been placid, when 20 tons of beef is watching your every move and cantering towards you while you're up to your knees in mud it is better to flee than to see what they want
They'll have been thinking feeding time.

Google have a picture of me on't bog. That streetcar gets everywhere.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Day off, gardening in the drizzle.
Tomorrow work, bet it's a dry day :dry:
I looked out the window the other day and casually said, our grass needs cut, and thought 'why bother it'll just rain once I start'
I spent almost 40 years gardening for a living,
I wonder how many days it rained over that time...
it was the snow I hated...

now I hate the wind...

Slick

Guru
I'm currently sitting in an Arnold Clark in Bishopbriggs getting a free service I won in a raffle at a night out for the local football team. There is an endless supply of green tea and Walkers Shortbread and it will be 2 hours before they finish. I'll need to do a few miles tonight to burn this off. :shy:

Nothing - very unmotivated. A house viewing arranged for this afternoon has been cancelled.

Walked dogs and was then going to go for bike ride but wind speed gone up and rain started :sad:
That must be super frustrating. I hope you hadn't made the journey from D&G for the purposes of that viewing.
But, has it ever been simultaneously dry and not windy up there?

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm currently sitting in an Arnold Clark in Bishopbriggs getting a free service I won in a raffle at a night out for the local football team. There is an endless supply of green tea and Walkers Shortbread and it will be 2 hours before they finish. I'll need to do a few miles tonight to burn this off. :shy:
You might be taking these health MOT's a bit too seriously.

Top Bottom