Irrational loss of confidence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Yesterday towards the end of an all day ride I had a bit of what I can only describe as a panic attack. I suddenly became extremely nervous on the road and started riding a very narrow footpath next to a 60 mph A road .

My lights are unmissable and I ride lots of dark miles but for a short while I could not ride on the road.

Another cyclist caught me up and asked if I was ok , I tried to explain my confidence had gone and he rode with me for a bit, after he pulled away I rationalized how stupid this was and carried on as normal.

I did have an off earlier in the ride where the front wheel veered off after hitting a ridge in the tarmac but was totally unhurt and laughed it off. I think a lack of sleep last week may have contributed as later I could barely stay awake long enough to get to bed.

Anyone else suffered anything similar?

young Ed

Veteran
as it was the end of an all day was the energy levels slightly low?
not had this but i find i just lose everything if my energy starts running low. i lose motivation and awareness (not really aware of traffic around me or stop thinking about where i am in the road at times)
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
as it was the end of an all day was the energy levels slightly low?
not had this but i find i just lose everything if my energy starts running low. i lose motivation and awareness (not really aware of traffic around me or stop thinking about where i am in the road at times)
Cheers Ed
Completely knackered but dont usually go like that when tired.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yep - had the feeling several times.

A sudden cross-wind down a fast descent or a slight wobble when cornering can ruin the confidence for the rest of the ride.

With me it happens when I'm not paying attention at the end of a long day at work or something else is bothering me.

I've also been avoiding a hill I've done a million times, because I had a bad shimmy down it late last year.

There's another hill I avoid in winter after I came off on ice about four years ago. I only ride it in summer and even then, tentatively.

young Ed

Veteran
or as @Moodyman said, if i have had a bad experience with a close pass with a car or a high speed hair raising moment or a wobble on ice etc etc this can hamper the confidence for that ride :sad: had a few with 12 ton double decker busses scraping my leg or wobbling rather baddly and almost losing it on black ice, at high speed, down hill, round a corner, on very high pressure 23mm summer slicks :O puts me off the whole ride but i'm up and goo as ever again next ride :smile:
Cheers Ed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
When I'm very tired from work I avoid roads completely, sticking to the paths, because I know my concentration just isn't there.
Also after motorist abuse or a particular bad close pass the fear of motorized traffic gets to me for a few days.
Once I was so angry after a phone call that I had to stop mid ride to calm down, I was a hazard to myself even on the segregated path:laugh:
You're not alone!

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Got a work pal who's wife had a tumble over two years ago, and refuses to get back on a bike. It was one of those incidents that was no ones fault, wasn't at high speed and no one got more than their pride hurt, except it knocked her confidence so much that she still wont give it a try. You did well to get over your fears so quickly and easily, don't beat yourself up about it. It just proves you are human. I had a spell whenever I came to go down a steep hill I got this mental image of my stem bolt shearing and the steering going loopy. There is no rhyme or reason why these things happen, but being at a low ebb may well have had something to do with it, as Young Ed suggested. Don't worry, and keep riding.:bicycle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not with a bike but I had a bad fall while rollerblading and smashed my wrist. I have tried 3 or 4 times to get back to skating but I just can't. I sold my skates and put the money towards a better bike instead.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Everyone is allowed an off day or a slight malfunction.

The fact that you lived to tell the tale is important!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got very scared when one of my bikes went into a 'tankslapper' once, it got stolen shortly afterwards and although I was a bit peeved at the money I'd lost I wasn't that bothered about it going. It may well have been the earlier 'off' at the back of your mind just try not to let it get to you. :hugs:

ClaireSaud

Veteran
I very temporarily lost my confidence a few weeks ago on my daily commute. I was approaching a junction I've crossed hundreds of times with virtually no problems. Had to stop and walk across! No reason at all. I just had a really bad feeling and was shaking. I just put it down to being tired. Don't let it get you down :hugs:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've had it, but it was temporary. One time I just changed my handlebar angle and things were improved. Another time, I just rode slightly wider tires for a bit. But I mainly think it has to do with the tricks the matter between our ears play on us. I think at times the mind wants to say "You should not be going this fast without protection around you" . Bad feelings about cycling situations just happen now and again. I don't see these things as serious, and don't expect them to repeat over a period of time.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I tend to have thoughts when i'm getting ready for a ride that this might be it,meaning i;m cycling to an accident or even worse. When i'm out there i'm fine,after a few miles those fears fade away though i never take things for granted. I like to believe that the cycling god is watching over me..he must be as i've had so many near misses!:smile:

Lost my confidence descending on my return leg of the commute after a crash. I started to avoid that particular route altogether. I've started taking it again with my winter bikes nobby tyres and realise that nothing is going to happen again, I just got unlucky. That said, I still get nervous when it's wet but I'm back riding the route on my skinny tyres.

Nothing wrong with a quick loss of confidence, its your survival mechanism. Chances are, if it's an irrational fear, it won't stick around long if you push yourself out of your comfort zone.

Top Bottom