Irritating "click" from crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
[QUOTE 4804032, member: 9609"]shoe lace hitting the bottle cage or something[/QUOTE]
The click happens at the bottom of travel on the LH pedal, so any loose laces would just scrape on the floor. Besides which, it's constant.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The click happens at the bottom of travel on the LH pedal, so any loose laces would just scrape on the floor. Besides which, it's constant.
Do the pedal loosen/clean-threads/tighten thing because it's easy, but when did you last regrease your pedal bearings?

The other prime suspect to me is that the left crank might be working loose but I'd expect that to be felt/heard twice a revolution and I'm sure I'll get complaints if I start talking about checking the torque on the crank bolts!

U

User6179

Mine was doing this as well when left hand pedal was at the bottom of travel and only on hills, turned out it was end of the cable on the mech hitting the crank arm but only in the smallest front ring.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Mine was doing this as well when left hand pedal was at the bottom of travel and only on hills, turned out it was end of the cable on the mech hitting the crank arm but only in the smallest front ring.
Miner's doing it on both rings. It's also an amalgam of a "click" and a "creak" (more the former).

I'll grease the pedals later and we'll see what happens.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Also, check chain ring bolts on the drive side...i appreciate this is not the LH but worth eliminating.

Also worth leaning the bike over and pushing your foot on the frame where the bottom bracket sits, listen for creaks in the frame...

My bet is a spoke rubbing against another, a lose QR or a rim joint that needs a wack with a centre punch.

Its never the thing you think it is so give up all hope of a BB swap curing it.

Btw, I have a cracking sound that I have isolated to the freehub, its seized once before(which is to say the springs failed and the free hub stayed free) every time i freewheel and then put pressure on a crankarm it cracks with a nasty noise.

I should sort that out really.

iandg

Legendary Member
Do the pedal loosen/clean-threads/tighten thing because it's easy, but when did you last regrease your pedal bearings?

The other prime suspect to me is that the left crank might be working loose but I'd expect that to be felt/heard twice a revolution and I'm sure I'll get complaints if I start talking about checking the torque on the crank bolts!

I had a knocking sound recently due to the left hand crank being loose. What I noticed first was the grey/black staining along the crank arm.

Lonestar

Veteran
Yup I've got the same and it's bloody irritating and it's been going on for ages.

Feels like it bottom bracket or something or could it be the special link in the chain...It's a fixie...Always the same position on pedal turn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Ok, fettling done... It's the pedals.

I took them off, went to spin them while holding the threads, and they were very reluctant to move. So, I took the caps off the bolt ends, sprayed in GT85, and freed them up (the left one more than the right one, actually, that one feels a bit 'grindy' and is on its way out, but it'll do for now).

A spot of 3 in 1 to finish the job, caps back on, pedals back on... Bye bye clicking.

Thanks all!

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Had exactly this recently and I know it can be a thousand things but Bottom Bracket for me.
Get off the bike, hold the bike with the brakes on and apply pressure to each pedal/crank arm, real pressure. If you hear the click from both sides, it is likely to be the BB.
Also, make sure your pedals are tightened correctly.

Top Bottom