Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Don't need to be rude. I am a "newbie" in bicycles and DIY bicycle stuffs and the price is a quoted price from a bad review left by a user on the relevant bicycle shop 5 years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good, helpful and polite reply. Thank you. Considering buying all the parts and tools I need for a first time DIY bicycle beginner, how much would that cost and how much time would be require to learn and complete putting new cables for a mountain bicycle brakes?

You'll need the CABLES and a cutter, and maybe an adjustable spanner and a set of allen/hex keys.

Decathlon Cable cutter was £12.99 (just checked)
Set of Hex Keys, maybe £10
Adjustable spanner (if needed - might on brake pads) £5

Cables £12-£15

Chris S

Legendary Member
Don't need to be rude. I am a "newbie" in bicycles and DIY bicycle stuffs and the price is a quoted price from a bad review left by a user on the relevant bicycle shop 5 years ago.
Sorry, I was referring to the person who gave the LBS a bad review.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

A review 5 years ago - take one bad review with a pinch of salt. Bit like holiday reviews. Bikes cost to repair, they aren't cheap.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Brake pads being shot means worn out ?

Why doesn't your bike stop ? - do the brakes pull OK to the rim. Are the pads level with the rim ? Do the brake levers pull smoothly, or are they stiff.

Have you also tried giving the rims (of the wheel) and the pads a good scrub with washing up liquid in soapy water ?
Oh I see. When I need to stop the bike and press the brakes, the brakes or whatever the part name is does not stop the tyres. No they don't. They don't pull at all. Just pull a little and make a small rubing sound.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh I see. When I need to stop the bike and press the brakes, the brakes or whatever the part name is does not stop the tyres. No they don't. They don't pull at all. Just pull a little and make a small rubing sound.
Get it serviced as above. Doesn’t sound expensive

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Do Halfords sell anything bike related for £1.79?
Does any bike shop?
I don't know. I am a newbie in bicycle stuffs, I don't change and repair my bicycle often, only when I need to. AGAIN, THE PRICE IS NOT ME SAYING. IT IS A QUOTE OF A BAD REVIEW OF A USER WHO WENT TO THAT BICYCLE SHOP AND THE REVIEW IS 5 YEARS AGO.

Can you post a video of the problem? To me if your brakes are pulled a little and you can hear a rubbing sound it would appear your brake pads are touching the rim but failing to slow the bike down which would point more towards dirty rims and/or contaminated brake pads as opposed to a brake cable problem.
A brake cable problem is more likely to manifest itself in that the pull on the brake lever at the bar feels sticky. If you pull them right to the bar and nothing happens then the cable might not have enough tension.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know. I am a newbie in bicycle stuffs, I don't change and repair my bicycle often, only when I need to. AGAIN, THE PRICE IS NOT ME SAYING. IT IS A QUOTE OF A BAD REVIEW OF A USER WHO WENT TO THAT BICYCLE SHOP AND THE REVIEW IS 5 YEARS AGO.
Go elsewhere if you're that concerned - I wouldn't be by one review, in fact I'd go on word of mouth if at all possible. Where are you based - perhaps someone can suggest an alternative.

It's also good to get into regular preventative maintenance - don't wait until it needs fixing (especially when it comes to brakes and tyres :smile: )

(there's no need to shout in your posts ;) )

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Can you post a video of the problem? To me if your brakes are pulled a little and you can hear a rubbing sound it would appear your brake pads are touching the rim but failing to slow the bike down which would point more towards dirty rims and/or contaminated brake pads as opposed to a brake cable problem.
A brake cable problem is more likely to manifest itself in that the pull on the brake lever at the bar feels sticky. If you pull them right to the bar and nothing happens then the cable might not have enough tension.
If I have an opportunity to cycle my bicycle outside, I will try to take a video of the problem and post it here. I don't want to take a video now as the bicycle is in my room.

Top Bottom