Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes we do, luckily in the minority though!.

I've personally had "my tyre is worn out, is it covered under warranty" and same again with punctures!.

I've done jobs where the customer is happy to pay whatever it takes to get the bike right, most customers are pleasant and easy to deal with.

Then there's "those" customers, take longer dealing with them than doing the job itself..

My mate said it won't take you long, he'd have done it himself but just doesn't have time..

It's why I'm happy to send my car into the garage for certain jobs. Suspension for example - try removing bolts that are 19 years old and never been un-done. Had an ABS rings changed (well the whole part of the hub as they come complete). I even send it in for rear pads, as it's a pain to wind back the pistons.

My son's currently into 'doing it all himself' - lets say it's cost a fortune in 'tools' for his car, and that's a 5 year old car ! Got to laugh about tyres, wish my sons were on warranty. :laugh:

It's why I'm happy to send my car into the garage for certain jobs. Suspension for example - try removing bolts that are 19 years old and never been un-done. Had an ABS rings changed (well the whole part of the hub as they come complete). I even send it in for rear pads, as it's a pain to wind back the pistons.

My son's currently into 'doing it all himself' - lets say it's cost a fortune in 'tools' for his car, and that's a 5 year old car ! Got to laugh about tyres, wish my sons were on warranty. :laugh:
I digress, I’ll be sending my car into the dealership garage tomorrow for it’s auxiliary belt, timing belt, water pump and coolant change. It’s going to cost an arm and a leg but at least I’ll get a hire car and hopefully have it back within a day or two.

I’m not going to go to my normal garage for this type of work as half the car has to be taken apart to get to the parts. My brother in law took his car in there a few months ago for a big piece of work similar in nature and the garage kept the car for months as he never got round to finishing the job, he kept stopping to do emergency work as he is known for not saying no. He does a good job though and has a massive heart. All the local RAC guys rave about him! My brother in law got given the garage car to use while his was in. Let’s just say 80mile daily round trips for work put a hell of a lot of mileage on the garage car over the 4 months he had the car!

The situation is a kin to choosing your LBS carefully. I tend to go to one for wheels, another for servicing and another for consumables.

keithmac

Guru

To be fair, if you buy decent quality tools you've got them for life. I view them as an investment.

I've saved thousands over the years doing my own work but can see the advantages of getting a garage to do it even if you can do it yourself!.

Cambelt, waterpump etc on our Kuga will be done this year, will be doing it myself when weather gets better.

My best customers are the ones who used to work on their own bikes, because they appreciate the time it takes to do a proper job (which is why they come to us).

Top Bottom