Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Too right. Plenty of other real stuff to get worried about. :whistle:
Given that a collection date had been given, which under the current circumstances is brilliant, when some shops are giving a time slot for collection. I can't understand why she didn't just wait until the agreed collection day and pick it up, having paid for the work done.

As for an "emergency", they take many forms, and the last thing I'd be thinking of doing is making a phonecall unless the emergency required one.

johnnyb47

Guru
@Fuutarou.
Your original post here " is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?" has finally made me come to answering the question.
Yes it is a rip off, but only to you only.
Personally i don't think you would be happy if a shop offered to do it for £10.
When someone is offering a service you've got to give a little leeway some way or another. The bike there fixing before yours may be causing them a challenge. They may be short staffed, and list goes on of why they may of been slightly delayed.
Also as I said before, farming the work out will cause more hassle in getting the bike to the shops and then having to go back to collect it. With the amount of time you've spend talking about it here you could of easily learnt and fixed it your self and saved a few ££s.
If you where to get stuck in the process, there's many amazing members here that would of given you some great support

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Fuutarou.
Your original post here " is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?" has finally made me come to answering the question.
When someone is offering a service you've got to give a little leeway some way or another. The bike there fixing before yours may be causing them a challenge. They may be short staffed, and list goes on of why they may of been slightly delayed.
Also as I said before, farming the work out will cause more hassle in getting the bike to the shops and then having to go back to collect it. With the amount of time you've spend talking about it here you could of easily learnt and fixed it your self and saved a few ££s.
If you where to get stuck in the process, there's many amazing members here that would of given you some great support

Once you start working on brakes, you can’t stop.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
@Fuutarou.
This is my "original post". These are post replies/replies or whatever you want to you call it to my "original post".
I understand but as I said, this is new to me. I don't know whether it is normal and not bad manners for some bike shops to not contact a customer and let them know of changes, emergencies or anything. I can easily learn but there are some obstacles such as time and money.

johnnyb47

Guru
The time you've spent here talking about this would of gone along way too repairing your bike. As for money you would be saving it repairing it yourself self.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is my "original post". These are post replies/replies or whatever you want to you call it to my "original post".
I understand but as I said, this is new to me. I don't know whether it is normal and not bad manners for some bike shops to not contact a customer and let them know of changes, emergencies or anything. I can easily learn but there are some obstacles such as time and money.
Put simply
You handed your bike over to a shop for work to be done on it. You agreed the collection day, Saturday. Wait until that agreed date, pay what's due and collect the bike.

You want it doing quicker, expect to pay more.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
The time you've spent here talking about this would of gone along way too repairing your bike. As for money you would be saving it repairing it yourself self.
I also considered some of you guys telling me getting a number of tools and parts to repair my bicycle myself would cost X amount.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Put simply
You handed your bike over to a shop for work to be done on it. You agreed the collection day, Saturday. Wait until that agreed date, pay what's due and collect the bike.

You want it doing quicker, expect to pay more.
Soul reaper, I agreed the collection day on Thursday(Yesterday) but due to unforeseen circumstance, the collection day will be when the LBS owner contacts me now.

classic33

Leg End Member
I also considered some of you guys telling me getting a number of tools and parts to repair my bicycle myself would cost X amount.
6mm Allen key, £1(part of a larger set)
10mm spanner, £1(poundland bike spanner)
Shoelace, nothing, just borrow the one from your shoe.
Time spent learning, who knows!

Can't get much cheaper than that.

All that's beside the point now as the bike is in a bike shop, getting the work done on it.

davidphilips

Veteran
I've got to walk back from the MOT station next week, I'll probably be a bit sweaty as I'll have to be back for a 9am meeting so will be walking briskly, but I wouldn't be worrying about getting a shower and washing my clothes just because of a slight sweat whilst I await the car to be MOT'ed - it will be done some time that day. I won't be awaiting the garage owner to call me to update on progress. He's not the most chatty person in the world and is a bit awkward, but they always do a good job - customer service ain't great.

This is a very strange thread.
You are lucky i can not even get an appointment,test centres are all closed in this side of water, just got another 6 month extension and no sign of test centres opening any time soon?

Top Bottom