Free bicycle accessories donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fuutarou

Regular
Hi everyone, does anyone know any charity, organization or anyone in East London, website or app that gives free or sells new or used bicycle accessories at a very cheap price? I have financial difficulty so in need of such help. I need a new bicycle front and back light, horn and good quality lock.

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Put a wanted ad in the classifieds (or try eBay). Don't there are many organisations giving away locks - you could try somewhere like the London Bike Kitchen perhaps (may be closed due to Covid).

The On Guard one is cheaper and as good as a deterrent. The cable is an added bonus for protecting your front wheel
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Pitbull-DT-Shackle-U-Lock-Plus-Cable-Gold-Sold-Secure_61144.htm
Thank you for the suggestion. I am servicing my bicycle and getting the brakes changed now so I will need to ponder about a bicycle lock.

*Sighs* I will try to find for a website, sns group or organization who can help me or partly help me with a bicycle lock.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you’re going to struggle.
You could try an ad here in wanted, someone may have an old one to give you. The postage won’t be free (at least £5 for a heavy lock) and you won’t be able to be picky and be grateful for anything offered (a donation to charity however small is also an appreciated gesture).

The one I linked is half the price and as good if not better (and brand new).
You might have been better doing your own maintenance and keeping the money for a lock

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
I think you’re going to struggle.
You could try an ad here in wanted, someone may have an old one to give you. The postage won’t be free (at least £5 for a heavy lock) and you won’t be able to be picky.
The one I linked is half the price and as good if not better (and brand new).
You might have been better doing your own maintenance and keeping the money for a lock
I know this is a good bicycle lock. What I am saying is I am going to spend £60 on bicycle general service and new brake pads and as I said especially in my financial difficulty, that's why I am having a hard time getting new bicycle accessories and doing anything that financially cost for my bicycle now.

vickster

Legendary Member
I know this is a good bicycle lock. What I am saying is I am going to spend £60 on bicycle general service and new brake pads and as I said especially in my financial difficulty, that's why I am having a hard time getting new bicycle accessories and doing anything that financially cost for my bicycle now.
The other lock has the same security rating, you’re paying for the brand name to some extent.

I’m saying that if you’d fixed the bike yourself with the aid of Youtube as suggested, you’d still have money for a lock :okay:

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
The other lock has the same security rating, you’re paying for the brand name to some extent.

I’m saying that if you’d fixed the bike yourself with the aid of Youtube as suggested, you’d still have money for a lock :okay:
Remember many of you fellow cyclists advised me to get a professional to have a look at my bicycle🤣

classic33

Leg End Member
Remember many of you fellow cyclists advised me to get a professional to have a look at my bicycle🤣
You were advised to take it to a bike shop to get the work done. Because you were uncertain on how to fix the issue.

A scam that did the rounds up here once, was someone getting rid of their cycling gear and being left with a lock that no-one wanted to buy. So they gave the lock away. They didn't however give all the keys for the lock.

I'd not accept a free lock from anyone I didn't know. Especially if that lock was going to be the only lock used.

vickster

Legendary Member
You were advised to take it to a bike shop to get the work done. Because you were uncertain on how to fix the issue.

A scam that did the rounds up here once, was someone getting rid of their cycling gear and being left with a lock that no-one wanted to buy. So they gave the lock away. They didn't however give all the keys for the lock.

I'd not accept a free lock from anyone I didn't know. Especially if that lock was going to be the only lock used.
How would they know where the lock was going to be used? My bikes aren't secured with a bike lock at home (they're in a secure bike store).

I'd rather buy new anyhow as you know the lock functions ok, and if it doesn't it can be returned. Locks get sticky with age and can fail, inconvenient if you can't unlock.
£24 for a Gold lock with cable is a bargain

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you a Uni student - many sell locks for £10. The other option, is sometimes local councils or the police do offers.road shows, but, unfortunately, we are in the middle of a pandemic and everyone is skint.

Check ebay for local sellers, and maybe collect as postage will be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom