Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is easy to understand but the point is IF THAT is the case or whatever the reason for not calling me, I would appreciate if the owner or shop could at least contact and tell me the reason why he did not contact and why can't I collect my bicycle on that particular day and what is the new date I can collect my bicycle. That is good manners and at least the customer knows everything that happen. You may be shy, reserved, not outspoken and maybe ok with assumptions when you have problems instead of settling them but some people on the other hand would like the owner/shop/place to let know them reason for change, why they did not contact and everything is happening and so they have peace of mind.
Did they not say Saturday to start with, for collection. It's the only day you've given. He may have found something major, or just that parts he didn't expect to replace, need replacing. Which may be why he wanted to speak to you.

As others have pointed out, shops are busier than normal and a two day turn around isn't that bad.

I'm neither shy or retiring, but I understand that my bike will not be the only one they've to work on. In fact I tell them in my local bike shop that if something more urgent comes in then work on that instead. I've also used the same shop for trikes and the quad.

classic33

Leg End Member
I comprehend but I wish at least the shop staffs would let me know the reason for change, why could I not do something they say at a particular time and everything happening so I KNOW. Some people keep thinking, worry and are anxious and troubled when the relevant people don't let them know in these specific situations. Are you ok and if they let you know what is happening they let you know and if they don't let you know what is happening they don't let you know every time you face these bicycle situations?
Clarify that last part, please.

As already said, you were told Saturday for collection, that's tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Personally I would call them to check so I can get on with my day, but up to you :okay:
I am considering whether to call the owner or not but I feel if I call the owner I am doing the wrong thing, the owner is not doing the right thing and call me and let me know why did he not call me and why could I not collect my bicycle yesterday and everything and he should be the one calling me.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am considering whether to call the owner or not but I feel if I call the owner I am doing the wrong thing, the owner is not doing the right thing and call me and let me know why did he not call me and why could I not collect my bicycle yesterday and everything and he should be the one calling me.
If you call them, you may just slow them down. Why not sit and wait until tomorrow, collection date given. Then ask.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Did they not say Saturday to start with, for collection. It's the only day you've given. He may have found something major, or just that parts he didn't expect to replace, need replacing. Which may be why he wanted to speak to you.

As others have pointed out, shops are busier than normal and a two day turn around isn't that bad.

I'm neither shy or retiring, but I understand that my bike will not be the only one they've to work on. In fact I tell them in my local bike shop that if something more urgent comes in then work on that instead. I've also used the same shop for trikes and the quad.
Yes they did but he changed his mind and said he will tell me what, He will do my bicycle today(Yesterday) and call me. Which means the right answer is Thursday. You mean he did not want to speak to me. I comprehend but he could at least call me and let me know why the change, why could I not collect my bicycle yesterday and everything.

I did not say retiring. I said reserved. I understand that my bicycle is not the only one they have to work on but at least let the customer(Me) know why did you not call them at a particular time when you said you will call them, why couldn't they do something on a particular day they you said you they can and every update and information the customer needs to know relating with their bicycle or something.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just call him, a 5 minute call won't be that much of an issue - if he's so busy, he maybe won't answer anyhow.

Do you need your bike urgently - did you say that to him or did you say there's no great rush?

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Clarify that last part, please.

As already said, you were told Saturday for collection, that's tomorrow.

I was asking Hlab if they were ok and being passive in the sense if a shop/place lets them know what is happening they let them know if they don't let them know what is happening they don't let them know instead of confronting the shop/place and contact them and ask what is happening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No I did not. I am waiting for the owner to call me and update me why did he not call me yesterday, when can I collect my bicycle and everything from the time I woke up until now.

Good god, I'd hate a picky customer like you. It's a bike shop, not a customer services team. You've got an expected date of Saturday and the owner said he'd try and do it that day.

Got to love folk that spout 'disrespectful' etc etc. Good god, take a look at yourself. You have no idea why he didn't phone, he could have found that your old bike needed parts he didn't have in stock, or something else cropped up, like a poorly relative, burst pipe at home.

Bit of advice. Instead of ranting at us on the internet, why don't you POLITELY phone up and ask how is the progress going with your bike. Unless you do this you'll be getting all wound up, saying how disrespectful the guy is. FFS you are spending £65, not £650.

Bike shops are literally rammed with jobs with people that don't like spending money on a bike. One 'chain ring' on my bike costs over £50 just for the part and I have to import it. UK prices are nearly £100. I don't get 'hissy' when it takes a week or more to get here.

I ordered £100 worth of parts from a UK supplier on 31st December. Half the parts arrived on the 17th January and the rest are coming today. Why, two items were out of stock. When I checked, it said they will post when everything is in - which is fine as it's a big box.

So, as I really needed the parts to finish a 'restoration' of a bike, I contacted them and politely explained is it OK for you to send the bits now as I was re-building a bike. They said no problem. I paid £6.99 for postage, but it's cost them probably double that to send in two big boxes.

The lesson here. If you have a problem or anxiety, then just give the shop a call. Remember you are just another customer and aren't 'special', and they are probably running around fixing bikes as fast as they can.

Same happens with 'cars' if you have one. It took the garage 3 attempts to get part of an exhaust for my car a couple of weeks ago - the wrong part turned up twice. What happened is the lad had to phone round then order the part for the model with a different engine - guess what, that fitted. It's life. Don't get stressed.

Tribansman

Veteran
Yes they did but he changed his mind and said he will tell me what, He will do my bicycle today(Yesterday) and call me. Which means the right answer is Thursday. You mean he did not want to speak to me. I comprehend but he could at least call me and let me know why the change, why could I not collect my bicycle yesterday and everything.

I did not say retiring. I said reserved. I understand that my bicycle is not the only one they have to work on but at least let the customer(Me) know why did you not call them at a particular time when you said you will call them, why couldn't they do something on a particular day they you said you they can and every update and information the customer needs to know relating with their bicycle or something.

I think rambling may be a more appropriate hobby for you 👍

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Just call him, a 5 minute call won't be that much of an issue - if he's so busy, he maybe won't answer anyhow.

Do you need your bike urgently - did you say that to him or did you say there's no great rush?
No I did not either. But I will need it if I need to go somewhere the day after Saturday. You guys comprehend. We all have those times when we only know whether we need to go somewhere or do something a few days or 1 day before a certain day.

classic33

Leg End Member

The only day for collection, given by yourself in your posts, has been Saturday. Now it's Thursday(yesterday), today(Friday, but may also be Thursday)

The story is changing slightly now, and it's you that we've to rely on for what's been said.

I asked you to clarify that last part of your post as it makes no sense, the way you've worded it. It's hard to agree* with something that makes little sense.

*And to make it very clear, I do not agree with you on your point of them not wanting to speak to you.

vickster

Legendary Member
No I did not either. But I will need it if I need to go somewhere the day after Saturday. You guys comprehend. We all have those times when we only know whether we need to go somewhere or do something a few days or 1 day before a certain day.
Just phone them asap, don't waste any more time overthinking!
It might even be ready now, maybe he just didn't get round to calling you

I have 5 bikes, so I'm never in a desperate rush for one :laugh:

Top Bottom