Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Go elsewhere if you're that concerned - I wouldn't be by one review, in fact I'd go on word of mouth if at all possible. Where are you based - perhaps someone can suggest an alternative.

It's also good to get into regular preventative maintenance - don't wait until it needs fixing (especially when it comes to brakes and tyres :smile: )

(there's no need to shout in your posts ;) )
I think you are right. I shouldn't decide by one review. I am based in London.

(No I am not shouting. I use capital letters to emphasize)

davidphilips

Veteran
Looks like you have 2 options, buy the parts and do the job yourself or leave the bike into the bike shop have the job done right and at a reasonable cost.
Either option is ok but for your own safety £30 is not a lot of money it may just save you from a very bad accident, best advice i can offer is dont use the bike until the brakes are sorted. Dont cycle for another 2 months with faulty brakes

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
I have made an appointment with my LBS to have a look at my bicycle on Thursday. If I have an opportunity to take a video before Thursday, I will upload it to you guys before Thursday if not on Thursday if I don't leave the bicycle at the bicycle shop or after Thursday if I leave it at the bicycle shop.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Looks like you have 2 options, buy the parts and do the job yourself or leave the bike into the bike shop have the job done right and at a reasonable cost.
Either option is ok but for your own safety £30 is not a lot of money it may just save you from a very bad accident, best advice i can offer is dont use the bike until the brakes are sorted. Dont cycle for another 2 months with faulty brakes
Good and danger saving advice. Why don't cycle for 2 months?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you are right. I shouldn't decide by one review. I am based in London.

(No I am not shouting. I use capital letters to emphasize)
London is a very big place :smile:

(capitals even as emphasis is still considered poor shouty etiquette :smile: )

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
@Fuutarou Your bicycle's braking system is a safety critical component. You've stated that you know nothing about it so take it to your LBS. Their labour charges are not unreasonable.
What is considered a cheap price range, average price range and expensive price range for putting new cables on bicycle brakes?(My LBS price range is £30 and Cycle King is £26. I have not brought my bicycle in to Halfords store for brakes check yet.)

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
How old is the bike roughly?

How many miles ridden?

Any previous service history?

The cables may have stretched a little and just need adjustment to them. Cost would be just for labour then. Photos of the problem would be beneficial to us trying to assist the best course of action for you

vickster

Legendary Member
What is considered a cheap price range, average price range and expensive price range for putting new cables on bicycle brakes?(My LBS price range is £30 and Cycle King is £26. I have not brought my bicycle in to Halfords store for brakes check yet.)
I wouldn't go to Halfords unless you know you have good mechanics at the local one - very hit and miss

This is my very excellent S London bike shop's workshop pricelist as a comparison
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/pages/workshop/

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
How old is the bike roughly?

How many miles ridden?

Any previous service history?

The cables may have stretched a little and just need adjustment to them. Cost would be just for labour then. Photos of the problem would be beneficial to us trying to assist the best course of action for you
More than a few years.

I don't know.

I will try to take a video of what happens to the brake pads when I press the brakes and show you guys soon.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
I wouldn't go to Halfords unless you know you have good mechanics at the local one - very hit and miss

This is my very excellent S London bike shop's workshop pricelist as a comparison
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/pages/workshop/
Do you mean Cycle King?

Why wouldn't you go to Halfords? Even though my bicycle knowledge is approximately beginner level and Halfords items and service price is expensive, I know their items quality are good and their service is good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean Cycle King?

Why wouldn't you go to Halfords? Even though my bicycle knowledge is approximately beginner level and Halfords items and service price is expensive, I know their items quality are good and their service is good.
Halfords mechanics can be very hit and miss, so unless you know the local one has good mechanics, go elsewhere (maybe you already are happy as you say the service is good)

I didn't mention Cycle King

If you can afford to pay the £30 then do so , it isnt a bad price and you may well find the shop/mechanic is fine , you really can not judge the shop on a single 5 year old review, well actually you can, look at it this way , if the shop was so bad, would it not have more bad reviews in the last five years , two sides to every story

Top Bottom