Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can the cables last for 3 or 5 years? They won't last for 10 years? How do I look after my cables? Do I avoid sudden braking? Brake blocks are another name for brake pads? I ride to places 20 - 40 minutes cycle distance from my house to the places and back home 2, 3 or 4 times every 2 weeks.

The answer is they could last a long time or not. Down to how much use, dirt, wet etc. Should last a long time with little use if the bike is stored somewhere dry.

fossyant

My bicycle is a mountain bike not road bike. Can I read the guide for free or do I to buy the guide?

Same principles but you aren't using it like many of us are using mountain bikes. Coming back covered in filth every ride. Cables don't last long sometimes.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think I will just stick to Youtube videos and free teachings. Thank you anyway.
You're going to have to accep that you'll be spending money on cycling. Whilst cheap, it's not free.

The good thing about books is that there are no power supply problems to worry about running out just when you reach the piece you need.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
You're going to have to accep that you'll be spending money on cycling. Whilst cheap, it's not free.

The good thing about books is that there are no power supply problems to worry about running out just when you reach the piece you need.
I accept that I will spend money on cycling. Just trying to reduce as much spend as possible currently due to my circumstance.

classic33

Leg End Member
I accept that I will spend money on cycling. Just trying to reduce as much spend as possible currently due to my circumstance.
The thing is this, there are certain items you can't do without. Brakes is one, lights another.

Both legal requirements for any bike on the road, in the UK.

fossyant

Who said it was cheap... :laugh: The full suspension has cost me an arm and a leg in consumable parts in 2020 due to use. :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Can the cables last for 3 or 5 years? They won't last for 10 years? How do I look after my cables? Do I avoid sudden braking?

Brake cables can last for decades in some cases. I have bikes where the cables are almost certainly still the originals which would put them at over 30 years old. You look after cables by keeping them lubricated and avoiding leaving the bike outside in bad weather where possible.
Avoid sudden braking unless the alternative is having a crash. Hard late braking is the sign of someone who doesn't use the roads properly, no matter what sort of vehicle you are in. Ride according to the road conditions and pay attention to what's going on, then you will very rarely ever need to brake hard. People who don't operate their vehicle smoothly lose control more and crash more. It's to a large extent your choice how safe or dangerous it is to travel around. You make your own luck on the roads.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ask which ever shop you have chosen to let you have all the removed parts back , that why you will see what is wrong hopefully .

If you ask them nicely they should be able to advise on any other repairs that are required and why .

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Brake cables can last for decades in some cases. I have bikes where the cables are almost certainly still the originals which would put them at over 30 years old. You look after cables by keeping them lubricated and avoiding leaving the bike outside in bad weather where possible.
Avoid sudden braking unless the alternative is having a crash. Hard late braking is the sign of someone who doesn't use the roads properly, no matter what sort of vehicle you are in. Ride according to the road conditions and pay attention to what's going on, then you will very rarely ever need to brake hard. People who don't operate their vehicle smoothly lose control more and crash more. It's to a large extent your choice how safe or dangerous it is to travel around. You make your own luck on the roads.
Agree with all this , you can describe it as good road craft , when I was learning to drive my dad a lorry driver would say you have to “ read the road” . But , You make your own luck on the roads , not sure about that . Even the most aware cyclist / driver finds that sometimes there moron detector was switched off.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The OP is rightly concerned about being ripped off. A problem nowadays with internet reviews and watchdog /rogue trader TV programmes . We expect every plumber builder and cycle repairer to be a crook .Where as in reality there are many who want to provide a service make a reasonable living and build up a base of satisfied customers.

Top Bottom