Is £30 to put 2 sides of bicycle brakes a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lots of folk have the idea that bike maintenance is cheap, and by that they mean free. It isn't like that in the real world.

Bike maintenance is what you make of it. Mine is all DIY, and my beater bikes are virtually zero running cost in maintenance. That said my cycling isn't totally free because I have still bought a few tools, and I do buy good quality puncture-resistant tyres when I need to. The beaters are almost exclusively run using salvaged or hand-me-down bits.
At the end of the day though, bike mechanics still need to eat like the rest of us, so their time has to be paid for. They aren't charities nor are the shops they work in.
Anyone who bemoans the cost of paying someone else to do things for them needs to learn to be self sufficient and sort their own problems out.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Halfords mechanics can be very hit and miss, so unless you know the local one has good mechanics, go elsewhere (maybe you already are happy as you say the service is good)

I didn't mention Cycle King
You said there so I thought you meant Cycle King. Your bicycle shop that you used as comparison is expensive.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As said living wage for mechanic plus parts and overheads.
If you even a basic tool kit to do jobs on your bike you would spend more than that as well as the pads .
Put it another way would you do it for less as a job ?

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Bike maintenance is what you make of it. Mine is all DIY, and my beater bikes are virtually zero running cost in maintenance. That said my cycling isn't totally free because I have still bought a few tools, and I do buy good quality puncture-resistant tyres when I need to. The beaters are almost exclusively run using salvaged or hand-me-down bits.
At the end of the day though, bike mechanics still need to eat like the rest of us, so their time has to be paid for. They aren't charities nor are the shops they work in.
Anyone who bemoans the cost of paying someone else to do things for them needs to learn to be self sufficient and sort their own problems out.
You don't need to say that. As I said, I am a beginner in bicycle knowledge and stuff and am not sure what price is cheap, average and expensive and whether my LBS's price is a rip off(And as other users who left bad reviews on them say. Their bad reviews influence me.) and because Cycle King's price is £26. It's good to teach and be kind and patient with newbies or even those veterans who need a refresh.

johnnyb47

Guru
It's always good though to learn basic cycle mechanics. A few basic tools and an hour tinkering around with your bike in the evening can be enjoyable and rewarding experience learning how to keep your bike in fine fettle.
If your interested in keeping the costs to the minimum, brake blocks and cables can be bought very cheaply from wilkos, and fitted easily at home.
All the best

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
As said living wage for mechanic plus parts and overheads.
If you even a basic tool kit to do jobs on your bike you would spend more than that as well as the pads .
Put it another way would you do it for less as a job ?
I understand. This is new teaching to me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I understand. This is new teaching to me.

Watch plenty of you tube videos.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
It's always good though to learn basic cycle mechanics. A few basic tools and an hour tinkering around with your bike in the evening can be enjoyable and rewarding experience learning how to keep your bike in fine fettle.
If your interested in keeping the costs to the minimum, brake blocks and cables can be bought very cheaply from wilkos, and fitted easily at home.
All the best
Yes I know learning basic cycle mechanics is good and beneficial. You can do some things for your bicycle yourself and save money. Unfortunately, I am very busy currently and don't have much time to spend self learning basic cycle mechanics and any cycle stuff especially lessons I need to learn regularly. I want to know if this price for a mechanic to put new cables for a bicycle brake is a rip off(As a user who wrote a review on the shop) or not, answers on the price difference between this shop's price and Cycle King and maybe other shops like Halfords. If this price is fair, normal and reasonable(As others make known to me), I will probably go with my LBS.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
How much would an estimate price be to replace both inner and outer cable of the front and brakes? How long time and distance can a new inner and outer front and back brake cable last?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
£30 is a perfectly reasonable price to pay. I never understand why people find it necessary to quibble over £3-4 when it's clear paying the little extra is more convenient.

You've said you have no experience. When you get the bike back you'll have a safe working bicycle. You can't place a value on that.

As for a five year old review? Forget it. Utterly irrelevant.

OP
OP
F

Fuutarou

Regular
Well looked after cables will last for ages. As long as the pinch bolt isn't done up too tight causing the cable to fray, and as long as they have not been kinked and are correctly installed. Brake blocks will last a lot less. It depends on the kind of riding you do.

The price you have been quoted is reasonable.
Can the cables last for 3 or 5 years? They won't last for 10 years? How do I look after my cables? Do I avoid sudden braking? Brake blocks are another name for brake pads? I ride to places 20 - 40 minutes cycle distance from my house to the places and back home 2, 3 or 4 times every 2 weeks.

Top Bottom