Is 20 miles in under an hour a realistic goal for a MAMIL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[quote="mattobrien, post: 2910613, member: 17550Happy to help / shout at you while you aren't going fast enough, if I can

Thanks! ^_^ I've been finding the small group runs real fun - plus a noticeable increase in speed from being able to take turns to draft and I put in a good turn of speed with @Andrew_Culture yesterday afternoon - and I've just sorted out the flattest 20mile route I can from home to Felixstowe and back. I will provide updates.

Very nearly proof that I do sometimes creep out from the back of the pack and provide a draft for others :smile:

Jon - we can up the pace next time were out if you like, I'd love to see your twenty mile route.

Last edited:

Blue

Legendary Member
A set of clip-on aero bars and a pair of second hand deep rim wheels and you're there!! :thumbsup:

Provided you use them!!!

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What position do you normally ride on the bike, on the drops, on the hoods or low on the hoods? As well as training your position on the bike will play an important part on the speed you ride at. If you ride in a lower position on the hoods or on the drops you will see a noticeable increase in speed than if you ride in a fairly upright position on the hoods.
The first experimental results are just in ...
The route: a tad under twenty miles (discrepancy with Google Maps and my on-board computer).
Conditions: 1/3rd severe crosswind; 1/3rd battering headwind; 1/3rd wow - am I really going this fast?
Changes to bike #2: lowered the handlebars one spacer (and slighter raised the seat) and spent as much time as I could on the drops.
Result: 16.8mph
Conclusions: I'm certain I have the legs for it, I'm certain I've got the stamina, but, oh, sweet mamma, my lower back was protesting as if I'd been planting spuds for a week.

It seems if I'm to have any chance to stepping up the challenge @mattobrien has set me, I'll need to seek out some core exercises and (correct me if you think I'm wrong) up my cadence to spread the load on my back.

BTW I didn't get anywhere near my peak heart-rate, so I think I've got a bit more to give.^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The route: a tad under twenty miles (discrepancy with Google Maps and my on-board computer).
Conditions: 1/3rd severe crosswind; 1/3rd battering headwind; 1/3rd wow - am I really going this fast?
Changes to bike #2: lowered the handlebars one spacer (and slighter raised the seat) and spent as much time as I could on the drops.
Conclusions: I'm certain I have the legs for it, I'm certain I've got the stamina, but, oh, sweet mamma, my lower back was protesting as if I'd been planting spuds for a week.

It seems if I'm to have any chance to stepping up the challenge @mattobrien has set me, I'll need to seek out some core exercises and (correct me if you think I'm wrong) up my cadence to spread the load on my back.

BTW I didn't get anywhere near my peak heart-rate, so I think I've got a bit more to give.^_^

Unless your cadence is well off, then you would do best to leave it alone IMO. Most people will gravitate toward a self selected cadence that is most efficient for them. Probably very few people need to consciously alter things!

Last edited:

mattobrien

Guru

Good work Sir!

Personally I find I never go as fast when it is windy as when is is calm. By that I mean the headwind always hurts more than the tailwind helps :cry:

I have been looking at the weather forecast and have generally been put off by the wind. I need a few days rest anyway, so this helps make sure that actually happens.

It terms of head down, arse up, do make sure the saddle is at the right height for your leg length, rather than raising it to get the arse up, so to speak. You can always just lower the bars, which you have done.

Getting use to riding on the drops helps.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
It's not a good time of the year for PBs, you'll easily pick up a couple of mph on a still and dry spring day for the same effort.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
do make sure the saddle is at the right height for your leg length, rather than raising it to get the arse up, so to speak.

This was a minor tweak I've been forgetting to do for some time, so, while I had the appropriate tools in hand .... :angel:

Sharky

Guru
Just looked up what a Mamil is. Made me smile. What am I? I already have my bus pass and soon will have my pension. Am I a OMIL? And sometimes a OMIASS (old man in a skin suit?)

Going back to the topic, I would encourage anybody who wants ride at high speed to join a cycling club and take part in their organised time trials. There is nothing better than riding on an accurately measured course and watching and learning from club mates and faster riders. If you are an OMIL, there are age standards for over 40's, but really you are just riding against yourself and trying to set a PB.

Organised events also have marshall's and warning signs for motorists, so makes high speed riding a little bit safer.

Achieving 20mph for the first time is quite an achievement, but get a season under your belt and you will be disappointed when you only do a 20mph ride.

There are some VOMIL's in the time trial world who think nothing of achieving 20 mph at distances of 50 and 100miles.

Good luck,
Keith

RAYMOND

I would say so yes, I'm very much a amateur cyclist ..even a fair weather one.
My usual distance is 18 to 20 miles and I do that in a hour.
I don't even go full pelt ..just a steady pace.
This year I will be pushing myself a bit more going more regularly and over longer distances.

david k

Hi
not for me its not!, my best 10 mile is 31 minutes and best 1 hour is 18 miles, i recon i may be able to improve these times but im not finding it easy

montage

God Almighty

In this wind.... that would be pretty close to 20mph avg on a windless day, nice

Top Bottom