Is 20 miles in under an hour a realistic goal for a MAMIL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did an out and back ride a few days ago in strong wind, (30 gusting to 45mph) struggled into a headwind for 20 miles then basically came back by a slightly different route but with wind behind me. Really flew on the way back but my average speed for the whole ride was still down on normal by about 2mph.

Ithink a headwind takes more out of you than you get back when its behind you.Have to admit though it was good fun doing over 42 mph on a gentle downhill I normally go down at about 30 mph, ^_^

montage

God Almighty
I did an out and back ride a few days ago in strong wind, (30 gusting to 45mph) struggled into a headwind for 20 miles then basically came back by a slightly different route but with wind behind me. Really flew on the way back but my average speed for the whole ride was still down on normal by about 2mph.

Ithink a headwind takes more out of you than you get back when its behind you.Have to admit though it was good fun doing over 42 mph on a gentle downhill I normally go down at about 30 mph, ^_^

Yep, simple maths - for a 20 mile out and back you may spend the first 10 miles going 15mph, the second 10 miles going 25 mph - the average is not 20mph. This is because you will spend 40 minutes going 15 mph and 24 minutes going 25 mph.
This is why it is more efficient to go harder into headwinds

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I also think that when your galloping along with a tail wind the temptation is to ease off and let the wind do the work.

400bhp

Guru
Yep, simple maths - for a 20 mile out and back you may spend the first 10 miles going 15mph, the second 10 miles going 25 mph - the average is not 20mph. This is because you will spend 40 minutes going 15 mph and 24 minutes going 25 mph.

Not sure how you've worked that out? Completely dependent upon the cyclist doing 15mph out and 25mph back. The difference being 67%. It could have been 16.67 out and 25 back? (50% difference)

I think it mostly comes down to the drag coefficient and the relative difference between the frontal drag and rearward drag (assuming all other stuff constant)?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Err, the maths isn't quite so simple as that. The easiest way to understand this is as follows:

Imagine you have an out and back course, 10 miles out, 20 miles in total. On a completely still day you cycle at 20mph. Therefore you experience 400 units of wind resistance (resistance is proportionate to the square of the speed) for one hour.

Now imagine that it is a windy day. You have a 10mph tailwind out, 10 mph headwind back. To maintain the same 20mph out you will experience 100 units of wind resistance (the effective wind speed will be 10mph headwind) for half an hour. On the way back, if you cycle at 20mph you will experience 900 units of wind resistance for half an hour. So on average, you will experience 500 units of wind resistance for one hour.

So you have to work quite a lot harder to maintain the same average on a windy day. Alternatively, you maintain the same effort and go slower.

400bhp

Guru
Err, the maths isn't quite so simple as that. The easiest way to understand this is as follows:

Imagine you have an out and back course, 10 miles out, 20 miles in total. On a completely still day you cycle at 20mph. Therefore you experience 400 units of wind resistance (resistance is proportionate to the square of the speed) for one hour.

Now imagine that it is a windy day. You have a 10mph tailwind out, 10 mph headwind back. To maintain the same 20mph out you will experience 100 units of wind resistance (the effective wind speed will be 10mph headwind) for half an hour. On the way back, if you cycle at 20mph you will experience 900 units of wind resistance for half an hour. So on average, you will experience 500 units of wind resistance for one hour.

So you have to work quite a lot harder to maintain the same average on a windy day. Alternatively, you maintain the same effort and go slower.

How are you working out the relative wind resistances? Linearly? See my post above, I think it depends on your drag coefficient which i think will be different forwards and back.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
How are you working out the relative wind resistances? Linearly? See my post above, I think it depends on your drag coefficient which i think will be different forwards and back.

You're absolutely right that it will be different out and back due to the wind direction. All I was doing was showing that if you do an out and back in still conditions v windy conditions, you will suffer more wind resistance in windy conditions if you manage to maintain the same speed as in still conditions.

When I've got a minute I'll do the maths to show what happens to speed in windy v still conditions if you maintain constant effort. Either way, in windy conditions you will either maintain your still conditions speed with extra effort or maintain your still conditions effort resulting in a lower average speed

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, here's the maths for constant effort and it's effect on speed.

Firstly, one assumption; there is only wind resistance. No rolling resistance or mechanical inefficiencies etc.

Using my example, 10 miles out, 10 miles back. In still conditions, experiencing 400 units of wind resistance, the cyclist can travel 20mph out and 20 mph back. So a 20mph average.

Now add a 10mph tailwind out. To experience 400 units of wind resistance, you would cycle at 30mph (giving you a net 20mph headwind). On the return journey, you would cycle at 10mph (again giving you a net 20mph headwind). So here you will have to put in exactly the same effort as in still conditions to do this.

But the time spent doing it is different. In still conditions you do it for one hour so that's 20mph average. In the windy conditions your outbound takes 20 minutes and your return leg takes 1 hour. So it is 1 hour 20 minutes in total, giving an average speed of 15mph.

Of course rolling resistaces, mechanical inefficiencies distort this to an extent. But whatever happens, your average speed on a windy day reduces due to the above.. So get yer head down and go low

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I love this sort of stuff - it reminds me of How-It-Works articles in Look And Learn. Cheers - brought back a bit of childhood!

asterix

Comrade Member
Conclusions: I'm certain I have the legs for it, I'm certain I've got the stamina, but, oh, sweet mamma, my lower back was protesting as if I'd been planting spuds for a week.

If it were me I'd try tweaking the nose of the saddle down a smidgin. It may feel a little odd but you should find you get used to it.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
If it were me I'd try tweaking the nose of the saddle down a smidgin. It may feel a little odd but you should find you get used to it.
I take it you don't mean that the saddle is pointing down slightly at the front, as I understand that has a detrimental increase on the load on the shoulders? To be honest, I think it's less of an adjustment issue, and more to do with the fact that - up until a fortnight ago - I wasn't doing any core exercise and I haven't spent that much time of the drops. (Though that is being rectified. :thumbsup:).

Top Bottom