Is 20 miles in under an hour a realistic goal for a MAMIL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Over the last two years I have achieved my targets of radically improving my fitness and losing weight. (There's still some flab that could go - that's a work in progress.) There has also been the unexpected bonuses of rediscovering a love for cycling and a passion for being out-and-about in the Suffolk countryside which more than compensates for the effort involved. And while - ironically - I've become less interested in targets the more miles I put in, I still hanker after being able to know I can do 20 miles in under an hour. This time, last year, I was able to do it in an average of just under 18 mph - the heart monitor said it was mostly done in the red zone - but is this a reasonable, and sensible, goal for someone of my age (fifty-five),to aim for?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes and with a fairly simple training programme shouldn't be all that hard to achieve.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes, depending upon the topography of your area and training.

For me, being up in the hills most of the time then 20mph average for an hour+ isn't really possible. Put me on the flat and it's fine.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What position do you normally ride on the bike, on the drops, on the hoods or low on the hoods? As well as training your position on the bike will play an important part on the speed you ride at. If you ride in a lower position on the hoods or on the drops you will see a noticeable increase in speed than if you ride in a fairly upright position on the hoods.

ZaksDad

Have you already set a 20m course, and what time do you currently do this in?
Basically, the answer to your question is yes. The next question is 'how' and the answer to the above questions will help you understand where you can improve speed and stamina and what you'd need to work on to achieve your goal.

VamP

Banned
Yes, depending upon the topography of your area and training.

For me, being up in the hills most of the time then 20mph average for an hour+ isn't really possible. Put me on the flat and it's fine.

It's Suffolk :hello: of course it's not hilly

@OP - it's perfectly achievable as others have said with a bit of training. Don't try to do the whole 20 heading in a westerly direction on a windy day though.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
On your own or part of a group? if you get a group of you riding taking the lead in turns in a flat area you'll be doing that sort of time no problem.

Koga

As already mentioned above, conditions which can influence your average speed: group riding, wind direction, time of the year / temperature and the route (even in Suffolk). In favourable conditions you will be able to achieve 20mph on average, but stepping up from just under18 to 20 mph is quite a big step. My advise is to cycle with somebody else of similar ability and goals.

400bhp

Guru
What position do you normally ride on the bike, on the drops, on the hoods or low on the hoods? As well as training your position on the bike will play an important part on the speed you ride at. If you ride in a lower position on the hoods or on the drops you will see a noticeable increase in speed than if you ride in a fairly upright position on the hoods.

This man knows his stuff about being able to maintain more than a 20mph average...

And do it whilst old at the same time :devil:

mattobrien

Guru
@Jon George The short answer is yes, as has been said above.

You are more than welcome to come out with @Andrew_Culture and I on some of our faster runs (still not very fast mind you) to help build up speed, if that is useful.

The slightly warmer weather, when it comes, will help too. Personally I tend to go a bit slower when it is cold.

I have a few training routes that I ride regularly and I personally find that helps. I know where I am at any given point, how far I have to go and broadly how hard I need to be pushing. No point in going off too fast. I also find the wind plays a bit of a role too. No hills of which to speak here in Suffolk to hamper with speed.

When I set out I had a goal of hitting the magic 20mph ave and managed to do it within about 9 months from starting riding. That was over a course of just over 20 miles.

Last year I managed to hit an ave of just over 21mph on a few rides, this year I would like to aim for 22mph ave, over the same course.

Hard work and a bit of suffering is all that is required. Properly push yourself.

Happy to help / shout at you while you aren't going fast enough, if I can

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Happy to help / shout at you while you aren't going fast enough, if I can
Thanks! ^_^ I've been finding the small group runs real fun - plus a noticeable increase in speed from being able to take turns to draft and I put in a good turn of speed with @Andrew_Culture yesterday afternoon - and I've just sorted out the flattest 20mile route I can from home to Felixstowe and back. I will provide updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom