Is 5 & 6 speed Shimano indexing compatible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I might want to swap a 6 speed MTB rear wheel into a frame which currently has a 5 speed freewheel and 5 speed SIS handlebar shifter. Apart from me not being able to use all six rear gears, will the 5 speed indexing still work ok on the 6 speed freewheel or are the sprocket spacings different?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They are different. You might get the five gears to engage, but they will be noisy in operation and it won't do chain and sprockets any favours.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They are different. You might get the five gears to engage, but they will be noisy in operation and it won't do chain and sprockets any favours.

Thanks, glad I asked the question, because visually they didn't really look any different. I had assumed the extra sprocket on a 6 speed was an add-on in width rather than being squeezed into the same space.

@raleighnut the shifters appear to be dedicated to 5 or 6 speeds and are marked as such. They are not downtube-style friction shifters. It just means a bit more messing around as I'll need to move the shifters with the wheel. I'll probably end up swapping another 5-speed rear wheel, but it will be a steel one!

simon.r

Person
Thanks, glad I asked the question, because visually they didn't really look any different. I had assumed the extra sprocket on a 6 speed was an add-on in width rather than being squeezed into the same space.

@raleighnut the shifters appear to be dedicated to 5 or 6 speeds and are marked as such. They are not downtube-style friction shifters. It just means a bit more messing around as I'll need to move the shifters with the wheel. I'll probably end up swapping another 5-speed rear wheel, but it will be a steel one!

Not something I have a lot of experience of, but my 6 speed handlebar mounted SIS shifter (from about 1993) has a little ‘switch’ that changes it from an indexed to a friction shifter.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not something I have a lot of experience of, but my 6 speed handlebar mounted SIS shifter (from about 1993) has a little ‘switch’ that changes it from an indexed to a friction shifter.

That's what I mean, a little oblong 'flat topped' knob on the top. I've had a couple of bikes with that 'feature'.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I might want to swap a 6 speed MTB rear wheel into a frame which currently has a 5 speed freewheel and 5 speed SIS handlebar shifter. Apart from me not being able to use all six rear gears, will the 5 speed indexing still work ok on the 6 speed freewheel or are the sprocket spacings different?
John - I suggest you have a look at Sheldon on Cassette /Freewheel Spacing (scroll down about 1/4 page).
My understanding was/is that the spacings on 5 and 6 speed freewheel blocks are identical, and the table suggests just that.
They are different.
In what way are the sprocket spacings different, Joe? [5.5mm]

Line the two blocks up sprocket to sprocket (turn one of them upside down) and look. It'll be obvious if they're different.

I seem to remember 5 & 6 being the same spacing.

Top Bottom