Is 52 too old to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
never to old , and £100 could get you mobile on the right machine if you find it , where are you based as might be other members on here local to you who might be able to help

Gary E

Veteran
Is 52 too old to start?
Yes, definitely too old. I'd wait til you're a bit younger if I were you!

The phrase 'never too old to start' was written for cycling! Go for it :thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
As others have said, £100 won't get you a whole lot new, but will get you a nice run-around second hand. Sounds like you will be doing mostly road riding, so look for a rigid bike - no suspension. On the road, suspension saps energy and converts some of your peddling action into a bouncing motion.

For around £200, the Carrera Subway from Halfords is a safe bet - Might want to pay a bit more to get it set up by a bike shop though, unless you find your local Halfords have good reviews - Their mechanics are not known for being great..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: Why only gentlemen, Rob? 49 year :girl:here, like you done a lot of walking, never really cycled till last October. Now I'm an all weather 2 wheeled commuter, feels great not to have to rely on public transport. Good tips from John R (post 9). I wouldn't go for 20 miles on your first day, build up the distance gradually. It is very useful to know the basics about your bike: best tip I ever got (on here, btw) was to always carry basic tools. My allen key saved my trip a few times. Enjoy!

broomwagon

I've returned to cycling this year after a 12 year break, and I'm now 53. Looking to be doing a charity Tower To Tower ride next month, Paris to Blackpool, in five days. Just cranking up the distance now. Go for it, you'll wonder why you never did it earlier.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hello and :welcome:
If you're just after a bike over here for a month, it could be worth getting a second hand one.
Or getting one where you live (wherever that is!!), riding it beforehand and bringing it over with you.
Where are you going? 10 miles in the Fens is a markedly different problem to 10 miles in Snowdonia...

Hello and :welcome:
If you're just after a bike over here for a month, it could be worth getting a second hand one.
Or getting one where you live (wherever that is!!), riding it beforehand and bringing it over with you.
Where are you going? 10 miles in the Fens is a markedly different problem to 10 miles in Snowdonia...

Probably drier in the fens

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, that's what I meant, obviously!!
I wasn't at all thinking of the time Plax left me for dead going up Llanberis Pass.
Thought never crossed... :whistle:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 on the building up to it, and that you'll struggle to get anything decent for £100. If your family can look for one for you or check and then collect an eBay purchase for you could help. I'd also suggest you try a few miles on a bike before you come over for your holiday to ease you into your distance. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone of reasonable fitness to cover the 10 miles each way with a short build up. The suggestion of going for a hybrid is a good one for comfort.
Best of luck. Let us know what you are going to do and how you're getting on.

By the way :welcome:.

OP
OP
R

rob jones

:welcome:

I'm 59 and been at the cycling for about a decade. I love it and am fitter now than I've every been, and I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years.

However, at our age, preparation is the key, it's not so easy to just go out and do the stuff we used to do.

1. Look at the route: 10 miles on the flat is very different from 10 miles up and down hills.
2. Think about your bike. I'd strongly suggest you look at getting a hybrid. They're lighter and better set up than the ubiquitous mountain bikes which catch all our eyes when we're starting up. One hundred quid is not going to get you much, so do some research (and perhaps you'll get some help from people here). Local classifieds, Ebay or a local bike shop which sells second hand bikes may give you something decent if you're lucky. My local paper shop has regular ads. But if transport is really rubbish and your alternative is going to be taxis, what about upping the budget a bit? Decathlon, if there's one near you, gets good reviews for it's starter bikes. Places like Edinburgh Bicycle Coop and Wiggle really drop the prices of their 2011 bikes now. If your route is flattish, a single speed bike is going to be better value and more reliable.
3. Prepare. Give yourself plenty of time for the first trip. Make sure you've eaten well the day before and have been drinking plenty. Make sure the bike's OK and the tyres are pumped up to at least 80 percent of their max pressure (it's written on the rim of the tyre). Wear suitable clothes. You could pick up a cycling shirt, shorts and a jacket from Aldi this week for about £25 (you can always wear the shorts under something baggy if you're shy). But don't overdress and avoid absorbent materials... you're going to get warm.
4. Take a banana. If you've undereaten and start feeling the strain you can eat it on the trip. If not, eat it with a pint of skimmed milk as soon as you get there. It'll help with your recovery and make sure you're not too stiff for the return leg.
5. Keep doing it. The first few times are going to be tough, and the temptation to jack it in strong. But if you do the route regularly you'll slash huge chunks off your original time by the end of four weeks and be as smug and boastful as the rest of us.

Let us know how you get on.
Many thanks to all for the positive and enthusiastic feedback and advice - unbelievable, a lovely forum indeed :smooch:

Just a bit of background info. I live and work in Thailand and visit the UK for a month every year so the motivation of a bike would be twofold - save time and money on public transport when visiting my family (they like about 10 miles from where I live) and maintaining fitness whilst on holiday. I'm fairly fit and by that I mean i walk 4 miles every morning a run a few times a week also. I dont mind spending a bit more but I will only use the bike for a month a year so I dont want to break the bank. I have looked at the Halfords website and taking on board what many have said about my budget, I have upped it to 150 pounds and saw this hybrid (I was looking at a mountain bike originally until I posted in here)that looks and sounds by the reviews half decent

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165534_langId_-1

Its the Apollo Veho 20" at 149 pounds. It gets a 4.5 start rating and I would order it on line and collect the day I arrive in the the UK - using a local bike shop (I dont know of any) may result in a weeks waiting etc

Anyway, can anyone think of a good reason ( please pardon the pun) for me not to get me leg over the Apollo Veho?

Top Bottom