Is 52 too old to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob jones

Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?

fossala

Guru
My boss started a year ago and he is 55 this year. He did 100 mile ride couple of weeks ago. Just take it slow and you should manage it. 100gbp won't get you much of a bike though. You will have to look on ebay.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My Father recently started cycling again at 70. He's doing real good and building his strength and distance gradually..... I hope you do it for more than a month though, could help improve your health and fitness in general and cycling is a very social activity if you join a club.

e-rider

crappy member
52 no problem, start steady and go from there.

However, you need to re-think your budget. A bike for £100 will be more like a 'toy' rather than a bike. You could go secondhand but if you don't know what you're looking for you could easily end up with something really rubbish too (and that requires expensive repair bills).

Best bet would be to buy new from a good local shop who can help you select a suitable and correct size bike. The cheapest reasonable bike is going to cost you about £250 minimum.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?

52 old?? :stop:. If riding a bike is what you want to do, then you go for it!! It may become as addictive for you as it has become for me ^_^.
There are plenty of experienced peeps on here to give you tips and help with the bike skills you will need.
As you say you have never ridden a bike before, maybe book up some local lessons before taking to the road? Good Luck anyhow!

:welcome:

I'm 59 and been at the cycling for about a decade. I love it and am fitter now than I've every been, and I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years.

However, at our age, preparation is the key, it's not so easy to just go out and do the stuff we used to do.

1. Look at the route: 10 miles on the flat is very different from 10 miles up and down hills.
2. Think about your bike. I'd strongly suggest you look at getting a hybrid. They're lighter and better set up than the ubiquitous mountain bikes which catch all our eyes when we're starting up. One hundred quid is not going to get you much, so do some research (and perhaps you'll get some help from people here). Local classifieds, Ebay or a local bike shop which sells second hand bikes may give you something decent if you're lucky. My local paper shop has regular ads. But if transport is really rubbish and your alternative is going to be taxis, what about upping the budget a bit? Decathlon, if there's one near you, gets good reviews for it's starter bikes. Places like Edinburgh Bicycle Coop and Wiggle really drop the prices of their 2011 bikes now. If your route is flattish, a single speed bike is going to be better value and more reliable.
3. Prepare. Give yourself plenty of time for the first trip. Make sure you've eaten well the day before and have been drinking plenty. Make sure the bike's OK and the tyres are pumped up to at least 80 percent of their max pressure (it's written on the rim of the tyre). Wear suitable clothes. You could pick up a cycling shirt, shorts and a jacket from Aldi this week for about £25 (you can always wear the shorts under something baggy if you're shy). But don't overdress and avoid absorbent materials... you're going to get warm.
4. Take a banana. If you've undereaten and start feeling the strain you can eat it on the trip. If not, eat it with a pint of skimmed milk as soon as you get there. It'll help with your recovery and make sure you're not too stiff for the return leg.
5. Keep doing it. The first few times are going to be tough, and the temptation to jack it in strong. But if you do the route regularly you'll slash huge chunks off your original time by the end of four weeks and be as smug and boastful as the rest of us.

Let us know how you get on.

Thomk

Guru
Hello

Gentlemen?
It may be OK but I worry for you a little. Age is not a problem but fitness and lack of experience may be.

Walking 4 miles a day and cycling 20 miles a day are poles apart IMO. Are you really fit enough? Where will you be cycling? What sort of roads? Middle of London, country roads, mixed...

It would be worth getting some cycling practice in advance and thinking carefully about what gear you might need in addition to the bike. Helmet (oops, sorry), lights, guards, clothing, tools, tubes etc etc etc etc. Have you considered getting a decent bike on ebay and then selling it on ebay at the end of the month?

No problem but work your way into that distance slowly especially if you are going to be doing it regularly. If you do a lot of walking your cardiovascular fitness should be good but be aware that cycling will use different muscles from walking and they will not be cycle fit and efficient. Its building up that side of it that you need to allow time for.

Globalti

Legendary Member
4. Take a banana. If you've undereaten and start feeling the strain you can eat it on the trip. If not, eat it with a pint of skimmed milk as soon as you get there. It'll help with your recovery and make sure you're not too stiff for the return leg.

Good advice there but one small point.... I'm 56 and thanks to cycling I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life. Last Sunday morning I did some strenuous trail maintenance in the local woods where my MTB club has built a couple of trails. After three hours of unaccustomed heavy work I was goosed so I went home to recover before going out with my regular cycling buddy in the afternoon. I felt so tired that I necked a recovery drink composed of maltodextrin and whey protein mixed with a pint of milk. Two hours later I was struggling, the drink was lying undigested like a lead weight in my stomach and the taste of strawberry kept repeating on me. My cycling buddy is a gastro-enterologist and he explained that as you age your levels of the enzyme lactase diminish making you less and less able to digest lactates, i.e. milk and milk protein. Some people even become lactose-intolerant as they age. I was so uncomfortable that half way around the ride I sat up and we pootled the rest of the way home.

So I wouldn't recommend a pint of milk mid-ride to someone aged 52.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Good advice there but one small point.... I'm 56 and thanks to cycling I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life. Last Sunday morning I did some strenuous trail maintenance in the local woods where my MTB club has built a couple of trails. After three hours of unaccustomed heavy work I was goosed so I went home to recover before going out with my regular cycling buddy in the afternoon. I felt so tired that I necked a recovery drink composed of maltodextrin and whey protein mixed with a pint of milk. Two hours later I was struggling, the drink was lying undigested like a lead weight in my stomach and the taste of strawberry kept repeating on me. My cycling buddy is a gastro-enterologist and he explained that as you age your levels of the enzyme lactase diminish making you less and less able to digest lactates, i.e. milk and milk protein. Some people even become lactose-intolerant as they age. I was so uncomfortable that half way around the ride I sat up and we pootled the rest of the way home.

So I wouldn't recommend a pint of milk mid-ride to someone aged 52.

Wow, didn't know that. Hope that day never comes for me! I just love all things milky. Shakes and puds, or just take it straight. Lovely!

sidevalve

Über Member
Age wise no problem but it depends on wether you've cycled before as to how you get on. If youve never cycled before you will feel naked and vulnerable, even if you have ridden before [maybe a long time ago] you will feel a bit exposed. Don't let it get you, the great advantage of a bike is you can hop off and walk around any situation you don't like, [gives those legs a rest too]. I've restarted riding after thirty odd years off and despite riding quite a lot in my teens/twenties I felt pretty nervy at first but the confidence does grow quickly.
The only downside is you can get hooked, cycling is good fun.

Top Bottom