Is 52 too old to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
On a side note if anyone has knee or hip problems from walking, cycling is far less stressful easier on the body done at the right 'easy gearing'.

Tarrantini

Hi Rob,

What do I know. I was the fittest guy in my club and I finished playing semipro at 38. Now,I am diminishing day by day but I guess we all have to decide how we want to go. I don't blame the pipe and slippers brigade but I'm a Dylan Thomas kind of guy. I ain't going gently. I am not letting these young fockers have an easy ride. I'm 52, recovering from a torn hamstring and (secretly) dreading getting back up to the elite group at British Military Fitness. However, get your arse in gear Rob, isn't it our responsibility to keep the MacDonalds age kids honest. Trus me, on the very rare occasions your beat them, the gloat is (sadly) of biblical proportionss.
Yours, 'constantly getting his arsed kicked nowadays by MacDonalds age kids' of Tunbridge wells

david k

Hi
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?
long time since this post but no your not too old, you can cycle slowly and it wont push you any more than walking, then step it up

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?
Certainly not too old.

There's a really good test to see if you're too old. Hold your fingers up under the jaw near the ear, if you feel a pulsing sensation, then you're not too old!

As for bikes, if possible, up your budget to £300 minimum, buy a good bike secondhand, and you'll lose very little if anything when you sell in on, unless you take it home with you!

Certainly not too old.
To be fair, he's 57 now.

david k

Hi
Hello

Gentlemen?
Nope, I feel much older than that and still cycle

I say cycle not done much lately but still clean my bikes

I say clean my bikes, I go not the garage now and then and look at them

I say look at them, I usually google it

I'm still buying cycling gear and clothes though, why do I do that?

Top Bottom