Is a bicycle a "road vehicle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

[QUOTE 2023597, member: 45"]That depends whether you're going to then go on to say that as a bike is a road vehicle it belongs exclusively on the road. Because that would be incorrect.

I'm a road user. I'm also many other things.[/quote]

I struggle to reconcile with your logic on this. What I read from this is that you feel you should be granted rights to use your bike where you want to.

Just because the bike is built to go offroad, doesn't mean that it should be used there with impunity.

Back in the days of C+, when there was a very robust anti 4x4 contingent, and the NERC bill was being introduced, I had no end of arguments with people (you included) who said it was right that vehicular rights should be removed from RUPPs (Roads uses as Public Paths), and the only vehicles allowed down there was actually horse drawn vehicles - incidentally, we now drive one of the horses with a trap, and the nearest RUPP has been blocked off so we can't get in there with it, but the local farmer can still take his 4 tonne tractor down it and chop the surface up - as he still does)

Why should the law be enforced for the prohibition of motor vehicles on these now 'restricted byways', and they have to adhere to that, but you feel it right that you can ride your bike on the pavement when a similar law prohibits you from doing it ?

To a casual bystander, it might appear that you are happy with the application of double standards as long as the infringement favours your chosen pursuit.....

Linford

Because recreational 4x4s'are a ecological and environmental nightmare?*

* And driven by strange people.

They are damned good fun though :laugh:

Attachments

• GtBedwyn2006031.jpg
    GtBedwyn2006031.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 44

Linford

I think you are confusing the word "fun" with "embarassing"

That would depend on where you are standing. If it were the burgundy car on its side and tryingto figure out how to get it righted, then absolutely - he didn't know how to drive it offroad, and that is how it got into that position.

Linford

To be fair, if I was standing in a lonely wood, in my Friday night pulling gear, whilst pointing at a burgundy car on its side, in a ditch, Id be pretty embarassed too.

I don't actually know him, He just turned up and paid for the use of the course on the day.

Linford

We call them "woodland"

Well to be precise, it is the training course which the Environmental agency (amongst other) sends their workers to so they can learn to drive their offroad vehicles properly.

The alternative is that the woodland is cleared, the banks flattened and rapeseed is grown on it for biofuel production. At least it is still woodland. they were also doing pheasant shooting, and survival training when in season, and the lake nearby was being used for carp fishing. It is part of a 600 acre farm and is crown land in the Savernake forest south of Marlborough.

Linford

Nope. To be precise its still woodland.

The alternative is that the woodland is left alone.

It is part of a farm. Farmers have to pay rent on this land, and have the permission of the landowner to do as they wish. It is actually a small collection of tree's surrounded by fields. The tracks through it still allow deer to roam, and other wildlife to flourish.

It is called Apshill Copse if you care to follow the link. I suspect they left it as they couldn't farm it as it is quite hilly.

Linford

And you wonder why people take the piss out of you?

Anything is possible with money. a vehicle track through it still leaves it as woodland. a bulldozer flattening it and turning it into something which resembles the surrounding fields doesn't.

You don't take the piss srw, you look to bully, and dominate..as is your way. I hope you are a nicer person in real life as you really come across as agressively impotent here, but then nobody says no to the big guy do they :rolleyes:

Didn't you take the mods warning yesterday about this as a hint ?

400bhp

Guru
Is a bike a vehicle then? :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom