Is a full road bike quicker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

J4CKO

jimboalee said:
Don't try to put up a PB on roads which are also inhabited by cars, buses, trucks, vans, motorbikes and other cyclists.

That's if you don't have a Garmin.

One day, you will push that little bit too hard and come a cropper.

If you do have a Garmin, there are post process tricks that filter out all the stops and slow riding, which gives you a 'cruising average' rather than an overall average.

Jimbo, good points, I agree and dont take it so seriously that I will compromise safety, there is a section on a single track road where I could go mad but choose to hold back as car drivers don't, you cant trust them not to speed without any consideration for the fact that something could be round the corner, so my average is subject to a certain extent to being careful but if you are consistent then that is just a factor.

A mate at work has offered me a Felt Road bike on loan as he doesnt use it, probably a little small, hence why he doesnt use it, he got bad advice when he bought it but I am three or four inches shorter than him at six foot so it should be ok.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
J4CKO said:
A mate at work has offered me a Felt Road bike on loan as he doesnt use it, probably a little small, hence why he doesnt use it, he got bad advice when he bought it but I am three or four inches shorter than him at six foot so it should be ok.

just forget to give it back to him

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Its a Felt F65, 56 cm, is this suitable for six feet and 16 stones plus of me, its immaculate as has hardly been used, how much would something like that be worth ?

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

I am Spartacus said:
just forget to give it back to him

The key word here is "Mate", might buy it but also I could wait and go for one on CTW and save the tax and get to choose something.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Ultegra groupset...methinks ..poss just over a grand new.. but nice
make a sensible offer.. me I'd go low
I am over 6 2 and fit a 58.. he would look as tho he dwrfed it a bit

Greenbank

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I've NEVER seen a hybrid on a 200 km Rando.

Steve A (former AUK points champion) sometimes does a few Audaxes on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres just for the hell of it.

There are also quite a few hybrids on the grimpeur events. In fact, I remember playing leapfrog with a guy on a flat-barred hybrid for a few hours on the Bryan Chapman 600 last month.

Then there's the famous BMX that someone did the Elenith (4727m climbing in 300km) on:-

http://kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com/gallery/2292089_5NrUT#123787977_pW7mh-A-LB

I did have plans for an Audax BSO (Bike-Shaped-Object) challenge. Rules were similar to those for the Fixed Wheel Challenge:- 1 BSO point per 100km or AAA point of completed/validated Audaxes ridden on a bike costing under £100 retail price from Argos or Halfords. The only equipment changes allowed are pedals (for clipless) and a change of saddle. Knobblies, brakes-of-cheese, transmission, etc must be left as is. Broken/worn items can only be replaced with items of similar dubious quality.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
If you have hills it gets even sillier as you can do the roadie's conserving energy trick by going slightly slower up a hill than you would be on the hybrid but using virtually no energy.

That will be why I passed a roadie at the bottom of Upminster hill ;), but he took me back half-way up. :biggrin:

jimboalee

Greenbank said:
Steve A (former AUK points champion) sometimes does a few Audaxes on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres just for the hell of it.

There are also quite a few hybrids on the grimpeur events. In fact, I remember playing leapfrog with a guy on a flat-barred hybrid for a few hours on the Bryan Chapman 600 last month.

Then there's the famous BMX that someone did the Elenith (4727m climbing in 300km) on:-

http://kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com/gallery/2292089_5NrUT#123787977_pW7mh-A-LB

I did have plans for an Audax BSO (Bike-Shaped-Object) challenge. Rules were similar to those for the Fixed Wheel Challenge:- 1 BSO point per 100km or AAA point of completed/validated Audaxes ridden on a bike costing under £100 retail price from Argos or Halfords. The only equipment changes allowed are pedals (for clipless) and a change of saddle. Knobblies, brakes-of-cheese, transmission, etc must be left as is. Broken/worn items can only be replaced with items of similar dubious quality.

When I say "NEVER" see a hybrid, I'm not deliberately looking for them. One may have passed through my line of vision and I didn't register it was a hybrid.
The main body of riders clear off eagerly and I just pootle along behind.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've thought of doing an audax on the hybrid before getting the racebike but unfortunately like Bonj there's the mudguard requirement ;). Since getting the racebike I'm going for longer super rides and using less energy. For that purpose I think it is very good, but for shorter distances I don't think there's harm in a hybrid. If someone was doing a very long commute though, drops+thinner tyres would be a lot better.

bonj2

jimboalee said:
Don't try to put up a PB on roads which are also inhabited by cars, buses, trucks, vans, motorbikes and other cyclists.

That's if you don't have a Garmin.

One day, you will push that little bit too hard and come a cropper.

If you do have a Garmin, there are post process tricks that filter out all the stops and slow riding, which gives you a 'cruising average' rather than an overall average.

so in other words, 'buy a garmin' ;)

bonj2

marinyork said:
I've thought of doing an audax on the hybrid before getting the racebike but unfortunately like Bonj there's the mudguard requirement ;). Since getting the racebike I'm going for longer super rides and using less energy. For that purpose I think it is very good, but for shorter distances I don't think there's harm in a hybrid. If someone was doing a very long commute though, drops+thinner tyres would be a lot better.

there isn't actually. Most audaxes i actually go on there's loads of people, on some i'd go so far as saying most people, without mudguards.
A lot of people are on what i would class as more of a sportive/race bike than a traditional audax bike.
I've not done an audax where it's rained but that's perhaps testament to how likely it actually is to rain at all.

Top Bottom