Is a full road bike quicker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Sittingduck said:
Neither are you if those are your Hybrid averages :biggrin:;)

No, honest I am, and thats what my computer reports, I reset it as I move off and check it when I get home as it doesnt pay to get too fixated on something on the bars !

It is quite a nice Hybrid as they go, Cannondale Bad Boy 700, 28mm slicks, pumped up to 110 psi, I have a rack and usually one pannier, I generally wear lycra for the aerodynamic advantage and its only seven miles of countryside, not much in the way of traffic, a few minor hills and only one junction to wait at. Been at it a year now, gone from 11/12 mph typical average to 15/16 mph, 17.5 mph pb and last nights attempt was 16.9.

Greenbank

Über Member
Some Audaxes require mudguards because the controls used are commercial cafes (sometimes even volunteer's houses) and they don't want mucky/muddy arses making their chairs filthy. Some cafe controls have threatened to pull their support for an event because of the mess that was being made. Without the support of these cafes it would be nigh on impossible to run the event.

Organisers handle this by imposing a mudguard requirement.

But relatively few Audaxes stipulate mudguards, a quick look a the calendar shows it's less than 5% of them.

It may not just be for rain though. Some rides go through many fords, even shallow rivers, and along roads where nearby farms have spread it with mud.

ShinSplint

marinyork said:
(a) I've not had it long
(;) there is no speedometer fitted
(c) I don't have road shoes as I've already stated
(d) Same number of idiots on the roads. You simply cannot go that fast in some urban situations, it's too dangerous. You need to get it out in the countryside and at quieter times to really put the power down.

From the point of view of climbing hills in a group I do find the racebike very annoying as you dawdle along at their pace with no effort rather than enjoying the hill peddling like a hamster on the hybrid.

marinyork,

The OP simply asked whether a road/race bike is quicker. Your points mentioned above are irrelevant. We have to assume we are comparing like-for-like i.e. road shoes/pedals are used on both bikes etc.

Your point about climbing hills just makes you sound like you're up yourself. If you're so good - start competing to a high standard, and before you know it you'll be winning gold medals.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
jimboalee said:
Don't try to put up a PB on roads which are also inhabited by cars, buses, trucks, vans, motorbikes and other cyclists.

One day, you will push that little bit too hard and come a cropper.

Scaredy cat........ ;)

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Also, am aiming to start going on some none commute rides with Roadie mates which is part of the requirement, its funny, one mate, he is slightly worried that I will leave him standing due to me cycling every day and I was worried because he is lighter and has a nice road bike, in reality I suspect we will just lope along at a mutually agreeable pace.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
J4CKO said:
Also, am aiming to start going on some none commute rides with Roadie mates which is part of the requirement, its funny, one mate, he is slightly worried that I will leave him standing due to me cycling every day and I was worried because he is lighter and has a nice road bike, in reality I suspect we will just lope along at a mutually agreeable pace.

You'll probably beat him......nothing better than riding every day. :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ShinSplint said:
marinyork,

The OP simply asked whether a road/race bike is quicker. Your points mentioned above are irrelevant. We have to assume we are comparing like-for-like i.e. road shoes/pedals are used on both bikes etc.

Your point about climbing hills just makes you sound like you're up yourself. If you're so good - start competing to a high standard, and before you know it you'll be winning gold medals.

Your post makes you sound up yourself. You seemed to have an inability to read other people's posts and then latch onto some post and start poking fun when you know little about people. If it were upto you everybody should have just answered "Yes". I think you need to grow up and stop trolling.

ShinSplint

marinyork,

Your initial post suggested that cycling on a road/race bike does not get you out of breath, compared to using a hybrid bike. I was simply trying to help you understand that working equally as hard on the road bike will get you further, faster. If all you want is to get from A to B in a leisurly comfortable manor, then by all means, hybrid all the way.

If on the other hand you want to cover more distance, and ride faster, and perhaps competitively, its road bike all the way.

No harm meant. And I certainly dont just "poke fun" at people.

Honestly...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Black Sheep said:
Road bikes are bumpier - but they're also faster.

some hybrids are quite badly designed, intended for a slow pootle to the shops

my average speed varies a fair amount on the same route between 15mph and 25mph on my road bike, prior to that it was 12mph to 15mph on a mountain bike.

you'll be able to get the power down easier due to the riding position compared to the hybrid that'll have a more upright riding position.

No, some hybrids are designed for people who want something to pootle to the shops on. Just because someone is riding a bike it doesn't mean they are trying to go as fast as possible. If you really want to go fast, get a recumbent...

Personally I can do 30mph on the flat on my hybrid, but only for short distances...

montage

God Almighty
Its a Felt F65, 56 cm, is this suitable for six feet and 16 stones plus of me, its immaculate as has hardly been used, how much would something like that be worth ?

I had the z65. Wrote it off in a crash though

c2c

redredrobin
i commuted to work on a trek full susser, put that back in the shed and bought a bianchi road bike with road pedals and shoes as opposed to spds. the difference is huge..... on the trek i was working hard, being slow and de motivated to ride at all. on the bianchi i enjoy the ride, am much much faster, and look for reasons to extend the ride...there is an old cycling saying that sums up your connundrum...... its does not get easier you just get faster. thats what a good road racer does..imho..

Breedon

Legendary Member
I got my road bike yesterday and went out on it today, the diffrence is amazing from my steel lump of a mtb at 17kg, to my ribble at 10kg very quick off the mark at the lights, the speed i found on a road bike is instant like op said on the mtb it's cranked up.

They are *twichy* at first but it doesnt take long before that goes but you do notice side wind more.

Top Bottom