Is a full road bike quicker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
J4CKO said:
I am trying to improve my average over my seven mile commute, best is 17.5, last night I did 16.9, I am using a Cannondale Hybrid and am going to start looking for a Road Bike in anticipation of the CTW scheme coming round again soon.

I am not getting to fixated on the average but like it as a good indicator of progress, I reckon if I can do that elusive 20 mph average I will be happy and forget about it.

Anyone gone from a Hybrid to a full on roadie and did you go any faster?
Yes -and I think that an improvement from 17.5 to 20mph would probably be about right. The real benefit is on longer distances.

The challenge (well, it was for me) was the position. I felt very stretched, and it took quite some getting used to. Now, if I ride the hybrid, it feels like I'm all tucked up.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm up to 14-15.5mph, depends on the wind direction, on my commutes. That's on a Surly Crosscheck with hub gear, 35mm M+ tyres(I still can't believe they weigh nearly 1kg each:o), rack and variety of pannier-rackpack combo's. I'm awaiting new 23mm Ultremos for my Giant hybrid, we will then see how fast that'll go. Hopefully the commuting 'workout' will make life easier for the fun rides.

I had my quickest commute on the roadbike on the way home today (mostly uphill). 16.7mph moving average which over 5 miles of traffic, junctions and traffic lights is pretty good. I'd never get anywhere near that on my hybrid!

Downward

Guru
Some pretty good average speeds, In my car the best I have achieved is 19mph on the bike it's 7 miles in 27 mins (any mathematicians ?!)
There is way too many cars,islands,junctions and traffic lights in Birmingham oh and hills.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
of course there's the third option. Get a Brompton. You'll be super fit in no time, and won't have to change at either end of the journey.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

16.5 average last night, was trying fairly hard but there was a fair headwind so no PB, in the car today as its not moved in ages and we are off out early tonight.

Going for an 18 mph average next week, then when I get a road bike the 20, based on what has been said is in my grasp.

I know it sounds like I am getting obsessed, maybe I am but I find it does make me push rather than amble.

Its not the be all and end all and very subject to the prevailing wind/traffic etc on the day, but hey, if you do a 20 mph average once you can go on about it for ever :evil:

I'm about 8-9 minutes quicker to work on my road bike compared to my hybrid. Average speed is over 17.5mph compared to about 15mph on the old clunker hybrid. Hybrid is more robust though so I tend to use it more as some of roads up here leave a lot to be desired

Downward

Guru
How much does one spend on a new Road bike when going from a Hybrid ?

Greenbank

Über Member
magnatom said:
As much as the wife will allow!

I did exactly that (plus some more on top of that without telling her).

My commute is between 11km and 13km depending on the route I take. Average speeds on 3 different bikes:-

13kg flat barred hybrid (Gary Fisher Nirvhana): 22-24kph (13-14mph)
11kg Fixed road bike (Condor Tempo): 25-26kph (15-16mph)
8kg Carbon road bike (Wilier Izoard): 28-29kph (17-18mph)

It's a rather urban commute through London with various bits where I can't go as fast as I'd want to because of traffic or other cyclists.

Blatting round Richmond Park with no obstacles I'm averaging 18.6mph on the Wilier and 17.1mph on the fixed. Haven't done it on the flat barred hybrid but I'd expect it to be proportionally slower than the Tempo, mainly because of the extra weight.

Before I put drops on it I think that in ideal conditions, no wind because of the gearing that for short to medium distances my flat bar road bike was faster than my dropped bike but adding wind and downhill over longer distances the drops are far faster. The other benefit I find is I can can perform better for less effort and therefore can go further.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Out of interest, how fast do pro cyclists go, what kind of averages would they be doing, as a ballpark as I realise it is subject to many factors.

jimboalee

J4CKO said:
Out of interest, how fast do pro cyclists go, what kind of averages would they be doing, as a ballpark as I realise it is subject to many factors.

May 30, 2009: Giro d'Italia: Napoli - Anagni (202 km):
1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Silence-Lotto 04:30:07

Slide rule please:biggrin:

Top Bottom