Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ride2017

Looking to buy a top end bike and was wondering how/why people justify paying £5,000+ for a bike as I'm not yet fully decided.

Looking at an SWORKS Tarmac but doing a bit of internet research I note that Specialized seems to have end of year bike sales giving around 25% off which would probably swing it. Anyone know when the 2017 bikes are likely to be discounted to make way for the 2018 ones?
Thanks.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
is an Sworks Tarmac a top end bike.

its expensive, that's for sure but is it top end?

vickster

Legendary Member

Certainly not one I'd spend 5k on. Does the OP race at a highish level? Those who do can perhaps justify the marginal gains. Otherwise they have a high disposable income and like high cost bikes

I don't think the S Works ones get reduced much, if they do, possibly September-December when the summer season is out, new ones come out and stocks are cleared

Go try one out and see if it's worth 5k to you. You might find one a MAMIL used for a couple of laps of Richmond Park, of Box Hill and a couple of sportives and has lost interested. Won't get the lifetime warranty though

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Point taken ..... may it's just the price thing then.
don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with paying whatever you want for the bike you want..if you can afford to and it makes you happy, good for you I say..I was licking the glass of my LBS when they had a £7,500 Look 795 in graphite sat in the window.

I have no idea how good a bike it is or if its worth the money and I certainly cant benefit from the gains....but I was so close to buying it.

it was real purdy!

400bhp

Guru
Is it that different to asking whether a top end car is "worth it"?

Or a work of art "worth it".?

Or even that Rapha jersey, or Versace dress?

The answer is it will be to some people but not to all.

Utility Theory innit.

S-Express

It's Specialized's top end bike, so yes, it classes as top end.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it that different to asking whether a top end car is "worth it"?

Or a work of art "worth it".?

Or even that Rapha jersey, or Versace dress?

The answer is it will be to some people but not to all.

Utility Theory innit.
Any of those could potentially appreciate, so possibly. I'm not sure a bike bought new ever will unless a pro won the TdF on it perhaps!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Specialized has a few 'top end' bikes, depending on application - so a 'top end' Roubaix, Tarmac, Venge, etc. All are still top-end of their price range.
I'm not trying to be an a5rse here.... but what you are essentially saying is the same as my initial point. The tarmac Sworks is an expensive bike...actually the most expensive Tarmac you can buy.

However, it might not be a top end bike.

I do think the venge is a bit special, as it carry's a whole new take on technology, cockpit design, total design (IE not being able to swap components) and seems to be a mix of Aero hybrid frame thingy.

I actually like to own a Venge Sworks and maybe a Colnago C60, or 50, and perhaps a Ridley Noah Fast, then that Look 795...somebody stop me!

SheilaH

Only you can justify it or not. If you lust after one and can afford it, then buy it.

If you think it'll magically transform you into a race winner you'll likely get better results taking a more measured approach to your fitness and waistline.

Go for it or not, your call.

Drago speaketh the truth.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? Its highly likely that losing 7 or 8 pounds will transform your performance on the road far in excess of what spunking £5k on a rig will do.

Nice kit is nice, but there is always the risk that youll look like a maggot on a diamond

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is a top end bike worth it? I suppose it is, IF you're a top end cyclist. OR if you have £5k burning a hole in your pocket.
For me, no it's not. I would be the aforementioned maggot on a diamond (as some would say I am - on a Specialized Secteur!).

Top Bottom