Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Will owning and riding it make you happy? Or will you just worry so much about it getting dirty or scratched that you just leave it in the shed all the time?

Lelly isn't top end but she was expensive for a bike for me and carefully chosen. On my second outing, the two riders in front of me brushed wheels and went down. So did I. Cue scuffed hoods and brake levers (not to mention cracked ribs on my part). If this would leave you sobbing by the side of the road, I'd suggest saving your money and buying a less expensive offering.

If you want it, can afford it, then get it. From one 'maggot on a diamond' to another. Not a fan of Spesh or S Works myself but did find a nice one on offer at the Concept Store in Newbury when I was looking, but ultimately it didn't inspire. If you are going to splash north of £5000 on a bike make sure it will make you smile when riding it.

mustang1

Legendary Member
For five grand though I personally wouldn't want an off the shelf bike that just anybody could buy, I'd want something a bit special and bespoke. Sure, it might be cheaper to buy a complete bike but hey, I've got five grand to spend!

Which bit will be bespoke out of the following items:
Frame
Handlebars
Saddle
Groupset
Wheels
Finishing kit
Forks

I guess probably just the frame and perhaps the forks.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I do enjoy riding my TCR . It really does make me smile when i'm riding it , sometimes laughing out loud .
I remember seeing it when i bought my £500 Defy 5 . I thought that was alot for a bike at the time and mentioned to my mate that worked in the shop that the price of the TCR was silly money and some of the frame only prices where madness .
A year later i bought the TCR and 2 years later i bought a TT frame only :shy:
The up side is soon i wanted to upgrade bits on the TCR so the Defy got the Top end stock wheels , handlebars etc .

Milzy

Guru
A kinesis with mid level running gear is a joy to ride that won't break the bank. The frame is the heart of the bike.

mattobrien

Guru
I specced my dream bike, which ought to be pretty unique, mainly as a number of the components weren't actually available at time of ordering!

The frame has now arrived and took three months from point of ordering. The rims arrived pretty quickly, although the hubs are yet to arrive, three and a half months and waiting - they should be here soon. The most unique part is the gruppo, so unique that despite assurances it would be available early 2017, the delivery has now been put back to June. I can't say that I am over joyed about the bike not being ready from spring, but that's a bit of a first world problem. You've got to love SRAM's time lines and ability to actually bring a product to market on time...

That said, it will be great when it is finally ready and I shall have to slum it on my Scapin until that point :whistle:

Sadly, I did find that building a 'dream' bike did mean that the budget was stretched a little...

Top Bottom