Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As it stands I'm pretty sure my £1500 bike is far better than me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is a mid range bike worth it? Why go swanking around with 105 when 2300 does the job adequately. Is a new bike worth it, when you could get a decent second hand job? Is a ...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm not trying to be an a5rse here.... but what you are essentially saying is the same as my initial point. The tarmac Sworks is an expensive bike...actually the most expensive Tarmac you can buy.

However, it might not be a top end bike.

I do think the venge is a bit special, as it carry's a whole new take on technology, cockpit design, total design (IE not being able to swap components) and seems to be a mix of Aero hybrid frame thingy.

I actually like to own a Venge Sworks and maybe a Colnago C60, or 50, and perhaps a Ridley Noah Fast, then that Look 795...somebody stop me!
I believe nibali and contador both won grand tours on s-works tarmac......so yes, its a top end bike.

But its maybe not a niche bike that commands more top end £s

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yes. If you add the cost of the frame, the groupset, wheels, finishing kit, the price will be lower than if you bought all the parts separately. This is true of any bike, low end , top end, high price model, low price model etc.

So yes, totally worth it. I would never buy all the components separately j less there was something very specific I wanted. Because, a want is a need.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Those two statements are contradictory. If the first one is true, then the second one must be true by extension.
So the more it costs the better it is?

400bhp

Guru
Any of those could potentially appreciate, so possibly. I'm not sure a bike bought new ever will unless a pro won the TdF on it perhaps!

They were examples. I could have chosen to quote lots of things that would not depreciate, for example the Rapha clothing.

S-Express

So the more it costs the better it is?

It's not a linear equation - and 'better' is a relative term. But the more it costs, the more you would expect to see high quality materials and high-end components. The notion of paying 'more' for something 'better' is hardly an unusual concept, so none of this ought to be a revelation to anyone here, I would have thought.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes. If you add the cost of the frame, the groupset, wheels, finishing kit, the price will be lower than if you bought all the parts separately. This is true of any bike, low end , top end, high price model, low price model etc.

So yes, totally worth it. I would never buy all the components separately j less there was something very specific I wanted. Because, a want is a need.
For five grand though I personally wouldn't want an off the shelf bike that just anybody could buy, I'd want something a bit special and bespoke. Sure, it might be cheaper to buy a complete bike but hey, I've got five grand to spend!

Lee_M

Guru
I must be a maggot on a diamond, because I've got a 5.2 Domane.
Far far better bike than I am a rider, I'm also 55 and weigh nearly 15 stone and 6' 3" tall.

But to me it's worth every penny I paid for it, even taking inot account the bother I had with the chocolate BB

They were examples. I could have chosen to quote lots of things that would not depreciate, for example the Rapha clothing.

Or Large Hadron Colliders. Very expensive but I would lack the ability to use it to its potential. I would just TT around it (not an an S-Woks Tarmac tho).

Looking to buy a top end bike and was wondering how/why people justify paying £5,000+ for a bike as I'm not yet fully decided.

Looking at an SWORKS Tarmac but doing a bit of internet research I note that Specialized seems to have end of year bike sales giving around 25% off which would probably swing it. Anyone know when the 2017 bikes are likely to be discounted to make way for the 2018 ones?
Thanks.
A top end bike is a nice thing to have.

Top Bottom