Is a torque wrench really necessary ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it's also a ratchet wrench and has multiple socket heads so it's actually just useful full stop ignoring the torque element of it.

We had a £300 Snap-On torque wrench in the garage where I worked.

Proper bit of kit, as it should be for the money.

I was taught not to use it as a ratchet handle, not sure why.

It was only ever used for head gasket bolts.

I can't see the point of one on a steel or ally bike.

Carbon may be a different matter, but I've never laid a spanner on a carbon frame.

wisdom

Guru
I have a torque wrench and do use it, but only because I have it.

Until I got a new bike with a carbon steerer tube I just tightened by hand, you get a feel for what's tight enough after a very short time. If something comes loose then you just do it a bit tighter next time.

I would say a torque wrench is only necessary if you have carbon parts on the bike - they are very sensitive to crushing damage so overtightening does risk permanently damaging them.

My torque wrench was £20 from Screwfix, you don't need an expensive cycle specific one.

Edit to say: it's also a ratchet wrench and has multiple socket heads so it's actually just useful full stop ignoring the torque element of it.
Do you have a link by any chance please

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used a torque wrench on my motorcycles ,but most of them would do well over 160mph

Never used on my cycles as I use feel, and I've never trashed a thread.

My son in law on the other hand seems to judge all torque by car wheel nut application:laugh:

If you aren't confident with feel then use a torque wrench especially on critical bolts.
Also be aware that tightening a bolt with coppa slip grease ect applied will change the torque value so remember torque is for Dry threads and treads with blue loctight etc.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If you can put all your weight on it and grunt, its tight enough... For all other settings i use a torque wrench. My dad is a retired car mechanic so i have a lot of tools handed to me included some fantastic King Dick wrenches and socket sets...

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you can put all your weight on it and grunt, its tight enough... For all other settings i use a torque wrench. My dad is a retired car mechanic so i have a lot of tools handed to me included some fantastic King Dick wrenches and socket sets...

Bet you don't use them on your bikes though.

Allan keys and torx keys pretty much cover it

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I only use one for axle nuts on SA hubs (25Nm and they can strip at 40Nm) or on fixies (30Nm suffices on plain steel dropouts; chromed ones need more).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Bet you don't use them on your bikes though.

Allan keys and torx keys pretty much cover it

Not very often to be fair, i use them to repair lawnmowers as a side business of mine and various other mechanical jobs. Of course, my dad gave me the tools just so he can do his mechanical work on my drive and not on his. :tongue: He thinks im daft and maybe i am :wacko:

keithmac

Guru
We had a £300 Snap-On torque wrench in the garage where I worked.

Proper bit of kit, as it should be for the money.

I was taught not to use it as a ratchet handle, not sure why.

It was only ever used for head gasket bolts.

I can't see the point of one on a steel or ally bike.

Carbon may be a different matter, but I've never laid a spanner on a carbon frame.

I've got two Snap-on Torque wrenches (I know Mitotoyo made their Vernier calipers and Micrometers so possibly had a hand in these as well).

Had one out today as it happens for a head gasket job, that's all mine get used for generally.

I would say if you aren't used to tightening fasteners then they are a good tool to have.

As for using it as a general ratchet no chance!, mine come out of their boxes to dona job then straight back in again (unwound)..

D

Deleted member 1258

I have a tendency to overtighten things, I have a torque wrench for the smaller stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
Necessary - not if you've a well developed mechanical aptitude and lots of spanner ing experience.

Highly desirable- most certainly. As above though, the do require periodic recalibration, and all it takes is a fumble and to drop it on the floor and its liable to be out of whack anyway.

I do own a couple, but use them rarely.

Top Bottom