Is accurate use of a hanger alignment tool dependent on a true wheel.

Yes.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd also check the mech's cage alignment as I find new SRAM MTB cages aren't all that stiff, compared say to my older Shimano ones - same issue might go for newer Shimano - i.e. all this weight saving.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'd also check the mech's cage alignment as I find new SRAM MTB cages aren't all that stiff, compared say to my older Shimano ones - same issue might go for newer Shimano - i.e. all this weight saving.

I suspect this may be the case with one sram long cage I have. As it climbs the cassette it looks to get pulled in towards the wheel more than I think it should.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I suspect this may be the case with one sram long cage I have. As it climbs the cassette it looks to get pulled in towards the wheel more than I think it should.

They are quite bendy - I've had to realign my MTB one before now after a ding.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ok, got the Park Tools one delivered yesterday, can see it will easily pay for itself. Two bikes done today, the 901 was out after I had a little off on the trails last week. Sorted and now shifting perfectly again. The Montpellier was a little out and whilst shifting is generally fine, changing into a lower gear in the larger 4-5 sprockets requires the lever to be held for just a second with a little extra push to shift. I think this is a combination of the cassette needs changing, (will be next chain) and the possibility of the cage being slightly out of true.

Top Bottom