Is anybody else using Linux?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I can see the odd stutter on iPlayer but that isn't surprising considering that the laptop was a pretty basic model over 10 years ago. I'll play about with it to see if I can speed it up a bit more but it is working well enough at the moment to be worth keeping.
get-iplayer, download the source file, play it in the media player.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
swee'pea, did you manage to change the value, to 10?
Er...yes & no. I followed the instructions at that link, restarted, then went to check, and it seems to be still 60, despite 'adding vm.swappiness=10 to the end of the file' - nb on the screen grab, top & bottom:

Screenshot from 2016-03-16 16:05:25.png

Any thoughts? Did I put my swappiness command in the wrong place? It is at the end of that file.

D

Deleted member 1258

Er...yes & no. I followed the instructions at that link, restarted, then went to check, and it seems to be still 60, despite 'adding vm.swappiness=10 to the end of the file' - nb on the screen grab, top & bottom:

View attachment 121813

Any thoughts? Did I put my swappiness command in the wrong place? It is at the end of that file.

I like the third line from the bottom "#Log Martian Packets" I didn't realize we were ready for first contact^_^

Glad to hear your getting to grips with Ubuntu swee'pea99

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just installed Linux Mint 17.3 on my desktop PC, which is the main one I use at home. It now dual-boots with Windows 7 and Linux. I plan to use Windows 7 now just for some games that won't run at all, or run badly, under Linux. Everything else: email, web, documents, etc. will be under Linux. Yet another of those annoying, and completely unsolicited "Windows 10 is ready to install" reminders finally made me decide to change.

D

Deleted member 1258

I just installed Linux Mint 17.3 on my desktop PC, which is the main one I use at home. It now dual-boots with Windows 7 and Linux. I plan to use Windows 7 now just for some games that won't run at all, or run badly, under Linux. Everything else: email, web, documents, etc. will be under Linux. Yet another of those annoying, and completely unsolicited "Windows 10 is ready to install" reminders finally made me decide to change.

Welcome, I'm on Lubuntu.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And you can also install get_iplayer which allows you to download programmes to watch later. Of course you must manually delete them after 30 days ...

Get_iPlayer also works well on Windows. And, yes, you have to remember to delete your recorded programmes after 30 days. :rolleyes:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just installed the Thunderbird email client (easy peasy on Linux OR Windows), then copied my Thunderbird profile across from its backup location, and ran it. Not a single glitch. I love Thunderbird: it just works, no fuss.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Oh, dear. :rolleyes: It's damage control time, now. Although my newly-configured PC will boot up in Windows (after about 3.5 minutes!), it now refuses to boot up under Linux. I've decided to bite the bullet, and just install Linux as the only OS on the PC: goodbye, Windows (and good riddance). :hello:

I hope this turns out to be more reliable than the dual-boot setup was.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Last night, I tried the Linux-only setup on my desktop PC, only to find that the installer hung and wouldn't respond for hours. I let it run that long, just in case it was just too busy to update its progress bar, but no luck. This morning (it's currently 6:40am here), I booted the PC on the Linux install DVD again, and went over to the kettle to turn it on for a nice steaming hot cup of coffee, and the house power went out. :banghead: It seems that my kettle has decided not to work properly anymore! So, after turning the safety switch back on (no fuses to replace, fortunately), I'm now running the Linux install again.

Yesterday, I'd got all fancy and created a comprehensive manual partitioning scheme that covered my 3 internal hard disks, and had a different partition for /boot, /, /root, /tmp, /home, plus 2 larger partitions to be mounted as /data and /data2. It looks like the installer choked on it, though. :rolleyes: Today, I just selected the option "Guided - use entire disk and setup LVM", which should allow me to tinker with partition setups later on, when Linux is up and running nicely.

Fortunately, I have 2 PCs, a laptop (which I'm typing on now), and a desktop, so I can browse the internet (minus coffee! :cry:), while the installer runs. Speaking of which: it's just showed me the "Restart now" message, so it's made good progress.

Top Bottom