Is black cycling gear dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
With my point now proved, it remains only for me to remember what my point was.

"Studies have shown that people called Boris are less likely to be involved in road traffic accidents."

d.

Recycler

Are you able to address my concerns about how that study was carried out? If not, its findings are not to be trusted. .

Sorry, I'm beginning to lose track of this thread. Which of your posts was that in?

You are, of course, entitled to your view. My only concern is that others reading your comments may think that they are based on genuine scientific evidence. That is arrant nonsense. d.

Ummm. At risk of repeating it
The key finding of this study is the strong link found between cyclist conspicuity and bicycle crashes. An eightfold reduction in days absent from work was observed between “never” and “always” wearers of fluorescent colors. Greater average speed and increased body mass index, exposures that may relate to conspicuity, were also associated with reduced rate of injury outcomes.​
Key points
  • Low cyclist conspicuity may increase the rate of crash-related injury.
  • Increased use of high-visibility clothing by cyclists is likely to reduce injury.
  • Low average cyclist speed and low body mass index may also increase the rate of crashes.
  • Days off work due to a bicycle crash injury may provide a useful outcome for assessing risk factors for bicycle crashes that involve motor vehicles.
I'm just surprised that you seem unwilling to accept the findings of one of the very reports which you brought to the table.

Edit. Sorry. Just realised that it wasn't you that raised that research. But the point remains. It does seem to provide some sort of properly researched support of Hi viz. Don't you think?

Recycler

[QUOTE 1876189, member: 45"]Rear and flashing front lights?[/quote]
Trouble maker!

In my view, very helpful, with the proviso that flashing headlights on rural roads at night are probably not a good idea. Nothing to support that, but FWIW it is my view. But let's keep lights out of this thread, my poor brain can't take it all!

Which part of North Somerset are you? I'm near Frome.

You have quoted the column headed fatal collisions/cars. The figures appear worse if you include other vehicles and/or non fatal collisions, however as the columns don't add up to 100 it is not so easy to see. I presume this is because there are sometimes more than 1 contributory factor.

I was keeping it simple... 63% makes my point.

In table 7-4 it shows" Cyclist wearing dark clothing at night" as a contributory factor in 10% of fatal accidents, I wondered what your take on that was?

A culmination of factors including education. HiViz may improve cycle safety, but as in the previous evidence, rider position and actions are as important. I would be more worried about the ones entering the road from the pavement, or other factors. HiViz as a single, one stop panacea does not work, and the wider issues MUST be addressed.

38% of accidents involving vehicles had failing to look as a contributory factor : Hi viz may be more likely to be seen in peripheral vision

17% failing to correctly assess speed or path : The more visible a potential hazard the easier it is to track

8% where the driver was too close : when passing, cyclist is out of the forward cone of optimum vision and in peripheral vision, Hi viz may make the cyclists distance more apparent

Absoulutely love this..... now lets look at the contributory factors where the cyclist was "to blame"

Failure to look is at 31%, is the remedy therefore HIViz cars to improve this, after all the cars would be more visible in peripheral vision if they were HiViz?

Failing to judge speed or path is at 15%, once again is HiViz for cars the answer, as a really bright car would be easier to track?

Surely if (as a road user) it is up to the cyclist to improve their visibility to prevent these incidents then the same responsibility must be on all road users?

Has anyone suggested that this is the case? - It seems to me you are arguing against a straw man of your own invention

You asked my opinion on a particular circumstance. I replied... any claims you wish to make about that are your own.

Recycler

Absoulutely love this..... now lets look at the contributory factors where the cyclist was "to blame"

Failure to look is at 31%, is the remedy therefore HIViz cars to improve this, after all the cars would be more visible in peripheral vision if they were HiViz?

Failing to judge speed or path is at 15%, once again is HiViz for cars the answer, as a really bright car would be easier to track?

Surely if (as a road user) it is up to the cyclist to improve their visibility to prevent these incidents then the same responsibility must be on all road users?

You seem to be ignoring the generally accepted SMIDSY phenomom that particulalry applies to both cyclists and motorbikes. Yes, it applies to cars as well, but less so. It is, however, a very, very real issue for us, which is why visibility is important for cyclists.
I hope that we can agree that SMIDSY's are of particular concern to cyclist. If we can't agree on that then there is no point in continuing.

Ahem!, Here goes -

<rantmode>

Trees, walls and street furniture don't have hi-viz, yet most people manage to not hit them.

When the overwhelming need of the newly qualified motorist isn't to lower the seat, fit a farty exhaust and drive one-handed while booming out the stereo, or put a big "I'm a butch businessman" fist at 12 o'clock and floor it, I'll believe that the guy on the bike is making a difference in road safety. If you had a neon sign with a big arrow saying "Hello? Can you see me in my pink dayglo feathered jockstrap??" half of these arses would still not see you through their incompetence/ego tinted glasses.

It's time for law enforcement, it's time to get draconian.

</rantmode>

Thankyou :rolleyes:

You seem to be ignoring the generally accepted SMIDSY phenomom that particulalry applies to both cyclists and motorbikes. Yes, it applies to cars as well, but less so. It is, however, a very, very real issue for us, which is why visibility is important for cyclists.
I hope that we can agree that SMIDSY's are of particular concern to cyclist. If we can't agree on that then there is no point in continuing.

SMIDSY is a misnomer is all too often really a case on SMIDGAF

No-one is ignoring anything.......

If a driver fails to look they will not see or act... HiViz does not and cannot address that issue!

Ahem!, Here goes -

<rantmode>

Trees, walls and street furniture don't have hi-viz, yet most people manage to not hit them.

When the overwhelming need of the newly qualified motorist isn't to lower the seat, fit a farty exhaust and drive one-handed while booming out the stereo, or put a big "I'm a butch businessman" fist at 12 o'clock and floor it, I'll believe that the guy on the bike is making a difference in road safety. If you had a neon sign with a big arrow saying "Hello? Can you see me in my pink dayglo feathered jockstrap??" half of these arses would still not see you through their incompetence/ego tinted glasses.

It's time for law enforcement, it's time to get draconian.

</rantmode>

Thankyou :rolleyes:

In the New Forest they are campaigning for the Ponies to wear HiViz... you could not make it up!

PK99

Legendary Member
SMIDSY is a misnomer is all too often really a case on SMIDGAF

!

not true - I'm a cyclist and do GAF but almost hit a motorcyclist a few years ago. I'm coming out of an urban t junction, all legs fully parked. suddenly i see approaching me from the right a guy on an old black scooter, wearing a black helmet and a long military/khaki greatcoat

Top Bottom