Is black cycling gear dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
In the New Forest they are campaigning for the Ponies to wear HiViz... you could not make it up!

you mean reflective neck collars to make the pony visible on unlit roads at night? = http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/new-forest-roads.html

Recycler

Trees, walls and street furniture don't have hi-viz, yet most people manage to not hit them.

Ahem!
In 2009 there were 2268 hospital admission of cyclists who had been injured in accidents with cars. In the same period there were 4682 admissions of cyclist who had been injured in accidents which involved no vehicles. ( Source: Table 6a; DfT Reported Road Casualties Great britain 2009. Office of National Statistics)

(As an aside; for some reason the figures also seem to indicate that if a cyclist comes off his bike on his own, then he is less likely to call plod!)

Nobody is saying that Hi Viz is needed on trees and walls, but the figures indicate that, as cyclists, we aren't always doing ourselves a favour.

Of course there is always the local experience......

Gosport has a fairly high cycling rate (used the be the third highest in the UK )

Yet we do not have the highest accident rate, despite a late part of the population cycling in camouflage!

PK99

Legendary Member
Of course there is always the local experience......

Gosport has a fairly high cycling rate (used the be the third highest in the UK )

Yet we do not have the highest accident rate, despite a late part of the population cycling in camouflage!

as oft used in a different cycling debate : Anecdote is not evidence

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I drive to and from work in daylight and dark and i see many cyclists wearing black. Some even have no, or poor lights and some don't have any reflection on their clothing.

While I'll concede that poor/absent lighting is unwise I'm unsure as to what your overall issue is here.

If you're able to see the cyclists well enough to complain about them then you can see them well enough to not hit them.

PK99

Legendary Member
While I'll concede that poor/absent lighting is unwise I'm unsure as to what your overall issue is here.

If you're able to see the cyclists well enough to complain about them then you can see them well enough to not hit them.

he has seen some of the ninja cyclists but no one knows if he has seen them all

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think this is unhelpfully harsh towards the cyclists it would affect. Many are quite attached to their cycles and would resent having them confiscated.
In a word; tough.

If operators can't operate their equipment safely in a public space then the powers that be should take it off 'em.

Earlier the strap of my Birkenstocks caught on the ankle loop of my winter leggings which are stored under the bed, nearly tripping me. I might easily have smashed my brains out on the bedstead. And died.

The colour of my leggings?

Yes, you guessed it,

Black.

Top Bottom