Is black cycling gear dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
'AH Ted, I've heard about these cults. People running around dressing in black, telling everyone what to do'
'No Dougal, that's us'

Sorry, but this is what came into my head reading this! I've a black Vulpine Hoy jersey that I've yet to debut but I generally wear red or yellow up top.

Jody

Stubborn git
What makes a person log on to a forum they only ever posted in once before four years ago, and resurrect a five year old thread?

Probably a motorist who bears a grudge decding they want to troll the cyclists for a bit of amusement.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
No, the posting above reeks of a newbies first visit to CC. It's not someone who has been causing trouble before, it's someone who has been muttering to themselves "idiot" whenever they see another cyclist in black.
I wasn't being entirely serious but it wouldn't be the first a long term absentee came back and and their first post be... provocative

I wasn't being entirely serious but it wouldn't be the first a long term absentee came back and and their first post be... provocative
Yes, I know. I wasn't being serious either. But I feel it's not provocative, just ignorant of the prevailing attitude on here. I think someone who had spent enough time here to be banned would have found a subtler way to be annoying.

Or just take the nuclear option, and mention h*lm*ts :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
Possible but their other post was promoting a ride.

Nothing to say they were a cyclist. Could just be someone promoting a ride for profit

As you say it just seems odd to resurrect a 5 year old thread to air their opinion when they posted once 4 years ago.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hello, this is only my 3rd post and first week of reading all the many threads and posts on Cycle Chat so i don't know if it's been asked but does anyone agree with me that dark cycle clothing(not counting shorts)..black, grey etc is dangerous to wear?
I drive to and from work in daylight and dark and i see many cyclists wearing black. Some even have no, or poor lights and some don't have any reflection on their clothing. As a cyclist i look out for other cyclists but some i don't see until i'm 20 yards or less away because they just aren't bright enough. I have many jerseys, plain and team ones, but i only wear flourescent ones, i want to be seen and i don't want to give some of those horrible motorists out there an excuse if they hit me that "he was wearing dark clothes, i couldn't see him"etc.
I want to be seen hundreds of yards down the road, not at the last few seconds where it might be too late. So to those who wear black, why do you want to be the same colour as the road?

No it's not dangerous.

Cars are dangerous.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Ignorance is dangerous, and not paying attention while on a road is dangerous, but there's nothing inherently dangerous about black clothing.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Zombie thread. Is there any evidence that the colour of clothing makes any difference?
NO.
When my wife was hit she was lit up like a Christmas tree, fluorescent top, shoes. flashing side lights. solid rear light and a flashing front light, if drivers are not looking it does not matter what you wear.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A black-clad person stands out against a well-lit chaotic background just as well as somebody in flouro. The only time I would agree that black clothing is dangerous is at night, when it needs to be supplemented by lights and reflective materials. Will somebody tell that to the muppets on knackered mountain bikes (not cyclists) who swan around my nearby city centre dressed in black, no lights, with an air of defiance as they shoot across the main road in front of cars? It's almost as if they are daring a driver to take issue with them.

Top Bottom