Is black cycling gear dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
One of these days I'll tell you my hi-vis anecdote.

Go on, illuminate us

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well if it isn't illegal.....

But I'll be the first to say I wear a hi viz when I commute (during the day). To each their own but if there is some small chance that a motorist might see me because of it then I'm happy to take that chance. FWIW anecdotally I feel like there have been occasions where I think a motorist has noticed me as I cycle up to a junction because of the hi viz. Can't prove it mind you, but I have to think a moving bright day-glo orange blob has to help at times. It does seem at times there is a little bias towards it being "uncool", personally I'm at an age where I just don't care and wear what I think is best for me.

Interestingly when I buy a h%^met, I always want one that is a bright colour for the same reason -I remember some years ago it seemed like brightly coloured ones had completely gone out of fashion. Mind you, I do have a black one, but that's for off roading.

But to answer the OPs question: is it dangerous? I'm not sure it's dangerous by itself but I'd say it's safer to ride in more noticeable colours.

The best way to be seen by twats likely to pull out is the tactical high speed (or apparently high speed) wobble. Accelerate towards them, or appear to. The colour is irrelevant. As irrelevant as the colour of their car.

U

User33236

I rode home dressed in a black helmet, half finger gloves, jersey, socks and shorts on an all black bike (sorry @vickster :laugh:) this evening. Was the only reason I survived my yellow (and black) shoes?

tempted to make a waspish comment.

The Essex Spurs

This isn't so mad a comment.I work late in the evening and the lights in our town are switched off in certain locations to make up for Tory Cuts!!!
Once or twice black clad cyclists with no lights appear from nowhere and although I haven't yet had to take evasive action as a car driver I have worried about their safety especially those with no helmets!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This isn't so mad a comment.I work late in the evening and the lights in our town are switched off in certain locations to make up for Tory Cuts!!!
Once or twice black clad cyclists with no lights appear from nowhere and although I haven't yet had to take evasive action as a car driver I have worried about their safety especially those with no helmets!!!
from nowhere?

Top Bottom