1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is cyclechat bad for your health?

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by bozmandb9, 10 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. bozmandb9

bozmandb9 Insert witty title here

I know a number of us may suffer, or have suffered mental health issues.

Some of the comments made from what is supposed to be a 'community' are really pretty nasty, and unnecessary. Sometimes people get very wound up, or upset. It is for this reason that I rarely dip into Cyclechat nowadays.

Now this thread in itself will probably elicit 'snowflake' comments. But my response in advance is this. If it makes you feel good about yourself, being terribly brave from behind your keyboard, then good for you. But in person, I know 100% that you would not dare insult me.

So instead, how about trying to be positive and constructive, thinking about what your comment may say about you? Yes, you can try to be macho or clever. Let's say you hit the mark with a nasty comment, and make somebody who is already depressed feel much worse. Feel good about that?

Cycling is a wonderful sport, and a great hobby, but sometimes, I almost wonder if it attracts more that it's share of, well let's just say negative people.

Hopefully not, maybe it's just that the positive decent ones are too busy out on their bikes ( as I usually am), leaving the grumpy bitter ones to their keyboard warrior ways!!

Much kudos though to those who make constructive contributions to the CC community, and thank heaven for the ignore function!

2. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

If I wouldn't say it to your face I wouldn't post it on here. A simple rule that works for me, keyboard warrior I ain't.

Deafie, graham bowers, ozboz and 18 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    bozmandb9

Very good policy! I wish more would abide by it.

Blue Hills likes this.
  4. irish on the costa blanca

irish on the costa blanca day of war = warrior, day of peace = man of peace

but your post is negative and full of accusations, exactly what you are complaining about and No cycling doesn't attract more that it's share of, well let's just say negative people. CC is at best is a very sanitised and controlled verison of the real world and is one of the most friendly forums to be found on the internet, but it is full of people from the real world and opinions differ, just as me and you read your post differently.

5. Drago

Drago Guru

I isn't afraid to insult anyone to their face if I think they got it coming. Fortunately bozman, you seem a nice chap and have done nothing to deserve the awesome and frightening ire of Drago, so you're safe ;)

6. irish on the costa blanca

irish on the costa blanca day of war = warrior, day of peace = man of peace

I wish I could write how I would speak to people in the real world, but alas I can't.

7. Slick

Slick Über Member

I tend to agree with much in what you say, some threads do seem to go downhill rapidly on here from time to time, for a number of reasons. I may be the exception to your rule of not challenging a misconception face to face though, as that's exactly where I would prefer to do it, face to face. I would avoid confrontation on here as much as possible, but I would be a lot more honest and forthright should we be operating "in the real world."

8. OP
    OP
    bozmandb9

I guess really we're just a reflection of society. Too many people are living in a state of stress, which leads to illness. We need a balance between our sympathic (fight or flight) and para sympathetic systems (rest and digest). When we lack this balance (homeostatis), we can get adrenal fatigue, or other symptoms.

Worth considering how various activities make you feel, and how choosing a different reaction to a certain situation can change the way you fele.

9. Slick

Slick Über Member

I think you're bang on there. Up until I got out of running my business, I was a bit of a missile looking for a target. Very different animal now, much to the surprise of some and disappointment of others.

Heltor Chasca, bozmandb9 and gbb like this.
  10. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Agreed . I have never posted anything I wouldn’t say to anybody face to face . However there are lots who do . Who seem to think they are some sort of CC royalty. And it seems are treated that way .

There are some over sensitive souls I think. Or just professional offendees .
    Hard to tell . Awaits somebody pinging this post as negative ...

Blue Hills, Deafie, classic33 and 3 others like this.
  11. Brandane

Brandane Rain magnet.

Bottom line is, it's just another internet forum. I think some people on this forum get a bit carried away with it and put it on some sort of pedestal; like it's some kind of elitist club. It's not. It's just like many other forums where everyone has the choice to take it or leave it. I've been on some forums where I've lasted less than a few minutes on. This one I've been around, on and off, for over 8 years, so I suppose I must like it. A lot of the stuff I see I strongly disagree with - but for the most part I can't be arsed getting into deep and meaningless discussions with strangers on the net, so I pass it by. I use it for light entertainment only, and for that it serves it purpose.

12. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

WGAF

I mean really?

Honestly?

iancity, Regulator, Drago and 2 others like this.
  13. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

It's a bit like going into the Beer thread just to say you don't like beer.

Daddy Pig likes this.
  14. oldwheels

oldwheels Über Member

As Brandane says take it or leave it. The saddos who insult people are just that. Ignore them. There are a very few on here who have insulted me whether from malice or just careless I do not know and really I do not care. One I think is a self important little person who may not even cycle but I do not let it bother me.

Blue Hills, Deafie, bozmandb9 and 2 others like this.
  15. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

You must have had far worse on site ? But i guess you know the people you work with and not those posting on here . Hmmmmmm .