Is cyclechat bad for your health?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I know a number of us may suffer, or have suffered mental health issues.

Some of the comments made from what is supposed to be a 'community' are really pretty nasty, and unnecessary. Sometimes people get very wound up, or upset. It is for this reason that I rarely dip into Cyclechat nowadays.

Now this thread in itself will probably elicit 'snowflake' comments. But my response in advance is this. If it makes you feel good about yourself, being terribly brave from behind your keyboard, then good for you. But in person, I know 100% that you would not dare insult me.

So instead, how about trying to be positive and constructive, thinking about what your comment may say about you? Yes, you can try to be macho or clever. Let's say you hit the mark with a nasty comment, and make somebody who is already depressed feel much worse. Feel good about that?

Cycling is a wonderful sport, and a great hobby, but sometimes, I almost wonder if it attracts more that it's share of, well let's just say negative people.

Hopefully not, maybe it's just that the positive decent ones are too busy out on their bikes ( as I usually am), leaving the grumpy bitter ones to their keyboard warrior ways!!

Much kudos though to those who make constructive contributions to the CC community, and thank heaven for the ignore function!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If I wouldn't say it to your face I wouldn't post it on here. A simple rule that works for me, keyboard warrior I ain't.

Slick

Guru

Some of the comments made from what is supposed to be a 'community' are really pretty nasty, and unnecessary. Sometimes people get very wound up, or upset. It is for this reason that I rarely dip into Cyclechat nowadays.

Now this thread in itself will probably elicit 'snowflake' comments. But my response in advance is this. If it makes you feel good about yourself, being terribly brave from behind your keyboard, then good for you. But in person, I know 100% that you would not dare insult me.

So instead, how about trying to be positive and constructive, thinking about what your comment may say about you? Yes, you can try to be macho or clever. Let's say you hit the mark with a nasty comment, and make somebody who is already depressed feel much worse. Feel good about that?

Cycling is a wonderful sport, and a great hobby, but sometimes, I almost wonder if it attracts more that it's share of, well let's just say negative people.

Hopefully not, maybe it's just that the positive decent ones are too busy out on their bikes ( as I usually am), leaving the grumpy bitter ones to their keyboard warrior ways!!

Much kudos though to those who make constructive contributions to the CC community, and thank heaven for the ignore function!
I tend to agree with much in what you say, some threads do seem to go downhill rapidly on here from time to time, for a number of reasons. I may be the exception to your rule of not challenging a misconception face to face though, as that's exactly where I would prefer to do it, face to face. I would avoid confrontation on here as much as possible, but I would be a lot more honest and forthright should we be operating "in the real world."

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I guess really we're just a reflection of society. Too many people are living in a state of stress, which leads to illness. We need a balance between our sympathic (fight or flight) and para sympathetic systems (rest and digest). When we lack this balance (homeostatis), we can get adrenal fatigue, or other symptoms.

Worth considering how various activities make you feel, and how choosing a different reaction to a certain situation can change the way you fele.

Slick

Guru
I guess really we're just a reflection of society. Too many people are living in a state of stress, which leads to illness. We need a balance between our sympathic (fight or flight) and para sympathetic systems (rest and digest). When we lack this balance (homeostatis), we can get adrenal fatigue, or other symptoms.

Worth considering how various activities make you feel, and how choosing a different reaction to a certain situation can change the way you fele.
I think you're bang on there. Up until I got out of running my business, I was a bit of a missile looking for a target. Very different animal now, much to the surprise of some and disappointment of others.

subaqua

What’s the point
Agreed . I have never posted anything I wouldn’t say to anybody face to face . However there are lots who do . Who seem to think they are some sort of CC royalty. And it seems are treated that way .

There are some over sensitive souls I think. Or just professional offendees .
Hard to tell . Awaits somebody pinging this post as negative ...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bottom line is, it's just another internet forum. I think some people on this forum get a bit carried away with it and put it on some sort of pedestal; like it's some kind of elitist club. It's not. It's just like many other forums where everyone has the choice to take it or leave it. I've been on some forums where I've lasted less than a few minutes on. This one I've been around, on and off, for over 8 years, so I suppose I must like it. A lot of the stuff I see I strongly disagree with - but for the most part I can't be arsed getting into deep and meaningless discussions with strangers on the net, so I pass it by. I use it for light entertainment only, and for that it serves it purpose.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As Brandane says take it or leave it. The saddos who insult people are just that. Ignore them. There are a very few on here who have insulted me whether from malice or just careless I do not know and really I do not care. One I think is a self important little person who may not even cycle but I do not let it bother me.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

You must have had far worse on site ? But i guess you know the people you work with and not those posting on here . Hmmmmmm .

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
You must have had far worse on site ? But i guess you know the people you work with and not those posting on here . Hmmmmmm .

On site? Not really, and it's not particularly about me, just based on what I've observed. I guess the first comment from @User3094 above sums it up really. I do GAF, occasionally I've read threads on here from people who are clearly hurting, and equally I've read really nasty comments. I put up a post about a recent road rage incident, and checked back after a week to discover some comments had to be deleted. Certainly doesn't bother me, but I just think that it's a bit sad really.

This is not a cue for somebody to talk about Rule 5 or something, I'm just suggesting that perhaps going beyond the macho BS, and more use of brain, less of keyboard bravado, may make a better community.

Reactions: mjr

Slick

Guru
On site? Not really, and it's not particularly about me, just based on what I've observed. I guess the first comment from @User3094 above sums it up really. I do GAF, occasionally I've read threads on here from people who are clearly hurting, and equally I've read really nasty comments. I put up a post about a recent road rage incident, and checked back after a week to discover some comments had to be deleted. Certainly doesn't bother me, but I just think that it's a bit sad really.

This is not a cue for somebody to talk about Rule 5 or something, I'm just suggesting that perhaps going beyond the macho BS, and more use of brain, less of keyboard bravado, may make a better community.
That rule 5 thing is great for bullies to try and hide behind.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
It's the whole reason there are Keyboard Warriors , it's people who find a way to express themselves via a platform such as a forum who can write a witty ditty, or verbally abuse people they'd not dare to in the street ..
It happens on any and every forum I've ever been on, twitter and Facebook, on neither anymore ..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If I wouldn't say it to your face I wouldn't post it on here. A simple rule that works for me, keyboard warrior I ain't.
I'm the opposite: often I don't comment on here or on FB because I don't want to be banned.
I can be quite abrasive :whistle:
Face to face, though, I do say what I think on a topic.
Sorry to read you have been upset on here @bozmandb9, I certainly can't recall any inflammatory posts from you.

Top Bottom