Is cycling exercise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I ask because a local fitness centre said that despite the distance being covered weeky at one point, I would not have been able to last an hour on one of their bikes. Peddling & going nowhere.

280 mile ride in 24 counts for nothing. Longest single trip to date, cycling. An hour in their gym would kill me it appears.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Challenge!!!!!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I ask because a local fitness centre said that despite the distance being covered weeky at one point, I would not have been able to last an hour on one of their bikes. Peddling & going nowhere.

Well I wouldnt last 10 mins ............. I would die of boredom :laugh: I have a turbo trainer and I now never use it I would rather be outside.

Also of course they would say this, they are hardly likley to say go outside and ride your bike instead of coming here and paying us.

Bicycle

I'm a keen cyclist and often do big miles, but I can feel absolutely Donald Ducked after just a few minutes on a static bike in a gym.

Of course cycling is exercise. Walking is exercise. I imagine even sex counts as exercise.

But real bicycles and static exercise bikes are very different beasts. I love the former and loathe the latter.

I used to row and I loved it. But I found training on an ergometer (same action) quite horrid.

Some people love the ergo but hate the water. I dare say there are cyclists who love the gym and hate the tarmac.

Your gym pals may be right and they might not be, but it's a little cocky of them to make the point.

It sounds a little like a Gameboy Geek saying he'd beat Valentinik round Laguna Seca. Not with real tyres, tarmac and brakes he wouldn't... :laugh:

Mrbez

HarryHill_fight.jpg

col

Legendary Member
Static cycles can be set so it feels like there is constant resistance on the pedals. So it would be just like going uphill permanantly. the more resistance the steeper the imaginary hill. So if the instructor set the resistance hard , then yes it would kill me, but set it easy and you would be able to manage. On a real bike the wind and hills give you this, but not constantly. Some electronic static cycles imitate this indoors, so its more realistic in that it isnt the same constant resistance all the time.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
According to myfitnesspal.com, my four-hour, 110km bike ride today burned over 3000 calories, which I'm slightly sceptical of, to say the least, but it certainly felt like exercise.

I imagine even sex counts as exercise.

Yeah, I imagine jiggling about in bed for three minutes burns a few calories.

d.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
According to myfitnesspal.com, my four-hour, 110km bike ride today burned over 3000 calories, which I'm slightly sceptical of, to say the least, but it certainly felt like exercise.

Yeah, I imagine jiggling about in bed for three minutes burns a few calories.

d.

Tips on that here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4703166.stm
Although frisbee throwing burns more calories.

ColinJ
If that hill(snow covered) in "40 my ass", takes you down Lancashire way. How long for the return trip, back to the pub, from the last lot of buildings on your right.

An average daily time of 65 minutes for the 18 1/2 miles into the centre of Leeds wasn't bad, so they said. However when pressed to try it for themselves, offerred them a bike to do it on, they declined. Bike offerred because they didn't have one that could be used on the road.

Elland to Huddersfield, via Ainley Top, on four wheels maybe for the challenge?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ
If that hill(snow covered) in "40 my ass", takes you down Lancashire way. How long for the return trip, back to the pub, from the last lot of buildings on your right.
The answer is ... "it depends"! :thumbsup:

I did it once into a headwind so strong that I had to stand up the whole way and only just made it to the top. On another occasion. I had such a strong tailwind that I climbed it comfortably on the big ring. It also depends on my weight and fitness - these days, I'm slow and fat but a few years back I could romp up that climb; one day, I'll do it again, maybe even in 2012 if I really get stuck in?

Top Bottom