Is cycling exercise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Depends on intensity really Ive done long rides and felt comfortable, and a '25 where I couldnt walk at the end of it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
3 minutes....:rolleyes:

Oh, all right then... two minutes.

d.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You'll piss it.

Then challenge them to a 2-hour jaunt out on the road with real hills. You'll kill 'em!

Problem is they are not used to dealing with people who do any sort of distance and speed methinks , they think cyclist and think your doing about 5 mph .....Go get em :gun:

400bhp

Guru
I ask because a local fitness centre said that despite the distance being covered weeky at one point, I would not have been able to last an hour on one of their bikes. Peddling & going nowhere.

280 mile ride in 24 counts for nothing. Longest single trip to date, cycling. An hour in their gym would kill me it appears.

They are nobs - join another gym. Are the people in there the type with no necks by any chance?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
calories-burned-biking-262x300.png

Thats large C so kcal.

I used this ..
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

to calculate a sportive and it came out at 3200 Calories for 76 miles in 3 and a half hours (including a food stop )or 900 an hour, i used to use spin machines at the gym many years ago and inside i used to do an hour and hit 1000 kcal so i do not think it is to far out, this comes out at 15 Kcal a minute .
At my average of 17 mph that comes out at 53 Kcal a mile if my maths works?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you're looking for a precise figure you probably need to take weight (bike + rider) and gradient into consideration as well, then there's all kinds of second-order factors like ambient temperature etc. But 30-40Kcal/mile is probably not a bad rule of thumb

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
It's more exercise than stuffing yourself full of protein shake, lifting heavy stuff then lying on the sunbed for ten minutes!

I hate hate gyms, precisely because the mentality is that everything is a competition.
Yeah, I might fail miserably in a spinning class, but do I get views, fresh air, cake and beer in a spinning class?No! I get loads of sweaty women who spend every part of every day worrying about how many calories were in that grape they had on Christmas day and whether they have enough HRT patches left.

Not to mention that if I did take up spinning instead of cycling, my vitamin D intake would be non-existent!

yello

They may be right, they may be wrong. If you're interested in the answer then there's only one way to find out (and it's not fight!)

Personally, I suspect I wouldn't last an hour in a spin class either. Far too much like hard work for my tastes.

I've obviously no idea of the exact wording they used but it does sound like a bit of a machismo throwing down of the gauntlet to prove little. There's nothing to say an hour in a spin class is 'better' than hours on the road. Just gym club pish. I'd ignore it.

As someone who's apparently stripped the cartilage off the back of my kneecaps, I'd ask them about the impact of their exercise bike routine. If it's too hard for a cyclist then it must be causing damage.

Personally, I think cycling indoors when it's nice outside is like having a gorgeous girlfriend but preferring to buy Playboy.

Dan_h

I ask because a local fitness centre said that despite the distance being covered weeky at one point, I would not have been able to last an hour on one of their bikes. Peddling & going nowhere.

280 mile ride in 24 counts for nothing. Longest single trip to date, cycling. An hour in their gym would kill me it appears.

Sounds like a poor attempt to get you to join their gym to me. The staff are probably on some sort of bonus for signing up new members after new year!

Slaav

Veteran
Never heard so much nonsense....

Ergo in the gym is a nightmare - easy to push yourself far to hard and die! Used to be able to row the Boat Race course without massive issues - bar having to try and stand to get out of teh boat afterwards.... another story - after puking :smile:

Bike in a gym, that is a different stroy. Relatively easy to crank the resistance up so far that it will feel like climbing a 1:5 hill for 5 hours. Not sure even A Schleck brother would manage an hour on that at any sort of speed!!!

I am sure we could all cycle up a massive hill at 0.5mph on a bike in a gym..... but not to any degree.

Real world vs gym??? Just wonder why so many trainers and free weight trainers try and use form and real world mechanisms to really test bodies - as opposed to pure machines with manufactired resistance??

Oh well - FIGHT! (That made me laugh up above :smile:)

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I asked because cycling outdoors was implied as being a recreation, possibly along quiet roads, for fun. The gym however was the only place where a person could "exercise".

As I said, the distance being covered weekly was said not to be considered as exercise. Implying that a person can only really "exercise" in a gym.

Two of those there had arrived by car, one from just under a 1/4 mile away. As it seems had most using the gym. Going on the number of cars in the car park.

Top Bottom