Is cycling exercise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I asked because cycling outdoors was implied as being a recreation, possibly along quiet roads, for fun. The gym however was the only place where a person could "exercise".

Ah, then there's your answer. The gym person has a misguided impression of road cycling. And of exercise for that matter. Even a recreational, fun, quiet road pootle is exercise.

It's why I couldn't get into spin classes, or gyms generally; I just can't get into that 'work that body', 'no pain, no gain' mindset. I've enjoyed gyms early on quiet Saturdays mornings when I've been able to do things at my own pace, but peak hours or classes where never my thing. Give me miles on roads everytime.

Dan_h

Ah, then there's your answer. The gym person has a misguided impression of road cycling. And of exercise for that matter. Even a recreational, fun, quiet road pootle is exercise.

It's why I couldn't get into spin classes, or gyms generally; I just can't get into that 'work that body', 'no pain, no gain' mindset. I've enjoyed gyms early on quiet Saturdays mornings when I've been able to do things at my own pace, but peak hours or classes where never my thing. Give me miles on roads everytime.

The "No Pain, No Gain" mindset works just as well on the road. It is just that after you have slogged your guts out and suffered during a hard climb you get to look around at the countryside (if you are not in the middle of a city) and feel great that you have just pushed your self hard. In a gym you only get to look at the mass of sweaty people either side of you and perhaps a window onto the car park!

I used to be a regular gym attendee. Since starting cycling I don't go to the gym anywhere near as much. When I do the exercises are of the low weight/high rep variety (i.e. tone not bulk). Am I less fit? Definately not? Do I have better leg muscles/abs than I had pushing heavy weights? Yes.

Put basically - any exercise will a) make you fitter and b) improve muscle tone on the area you're targetting at the time. Any gym "professional" who says otherwise should hang their heads in shame for the blatent marketing lies!!

tyred

Legendary Member
My sweat soaked shirt would suggest cycling is exercise!

I suppose it's horses for courses but whereas I'm perfectly happy to cycle or walk around open countryside even in wet/windy weather, I would rather watch paint dry or polish the gas cooker than go to the gym.

Top Bottom