Is cyclists allowed on the motorways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Is this thread for real?! Lol.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks ! I was blissfully unaware of the ban on the A roads! Motorways i was kind of guessing! But it would have so much easier if it was allowed !
Does anyone here do a lot of rides on the national cycling tracks ?
If you’re not a driver and new to cycling on roads, it would be sensible to read a book called Cyclecraft and the Highway Code as above

classic33

Leg End Member
Not on motorways / major trunk roads
Directional or Police Signs.
images-9.jpg

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Th Highway Code is available to read on the internet, here is a link..
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads/3/2/9/2/3292309/the_official_highway_code_-_30-11-2018_2.pdf

Rule 253 tells us cyclists should not be using motorways, there should have been a sign informing you of that, here is the sign......

View attachment 463629
This is really helpful.
But i did see someone else go in the motorway... that cyclist looked like a proper racing kind. Anyways thanks for the help.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks ! I was blissfully unaware of the ban on the A roads! Motorways i was kind of guessing! But it would have so much easier if it was allowed !
Does anyone here do a lot of rides on the national cycling tracks ?

There is no ban of A roads , you are quite entitled to ride on them. Suggest you get yourself a copy of the Highway Code

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not sure i was following the cycling track... it turned left the road sign said ... london ...and then vanished ... i guess i should have followed on the track to dartford. Not sure

Find it on a map so we know where you were. It's all a bit vague at the moment. The M25 is not continuous round Dartford way there is a section of A road before the M25 starts again.

Top Bottom