Is freeview worth having?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I bought a cheapo £10 Techwood freeview box from Tesco.
I'm fortunately in a good reception area so recieve lots of channels.
For the sake of a one off payment it has to be worth having.
UKTV History is a good channel....always show David Attenborough programs. :biggrin:

If you point a dish at 28.3 degrees you'll get the beeb now. They only pay sky for their EPG. It's the way forward (or it will be whne MRs D let's me put my dish & motor up so we can get eurosport and more for free).

yenrod

Yes, its well worth it Big' - you can watch David Cameron more often on the news :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
we are probably the only household left with just the 5 terrestial stations. We really arn't interested in a cable or sattelite hook up, but this freeview lark...is that any good?

asterix

Comrade Member
Crackle said:
I thought Freesat had already launched? I know you can just get a card from Sky which allows you to watch the free channels anyway for a one-off cost of about £25, just goes in your Sky reciever. This is nearly the same as you can get via digital TV plus 240 channels of other rubbish. In fact using a SKY reciever is the only way to get channel 4 and 5 via satellite as they are still scrambled, so you won't get them from FreeToAir satellite recievers. What's the difference between Freesat and that?

We use a Sky box and small mesh dish in France 40Km south of Limoges. Excellent reception (except in really heavy thunderstorms).

Would I be right in thinking this would work in the UK too?

We tried Freeview in York and it worked at for a few months but then it stopped working and apparently we can only get it now if we buy a new aerial. Mrs A wants to get Sky but I'm not keen to subscribe to the Murdoch empire.

asterix said:
We use a Sky box and small mesh dish in France 40Km south of Limoges. Excellent reception (except in really heavy thunderstorms).

Would I be right in thinking this would work in the UK too?

Yes it would work in the UK, that's what everyone up here in the Highlands does. Or instead of the Sky box they use a FreeToAir box but like I said, currently you won't get Channel 4 and 5 that way. MarinYorks' advice sounds the way to go for the future though.

Top Bottom