Is high cadence efficient? Research doesn't agree!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I did make a conscious effort on a Dunwich Dynamo once to keep my gears down and cadence up - counted the revs for a few single minutes now and then. It was the easiest one I have ever done - I almost felt like I'd floated there.
I'd definitely avoid "pushing the gears" most of the time.
I'm not a racer.

edit: If thinking about it/monitoring myself I aim for something approaching 100rpm.

you forgot the part about tucking behind other as much as you can and pretty much coasting your way through the DD with a small nudge on the pedals every so often to keep pace with the pack -- At least this was my strategy for success.

si_c

Guru
I only ever worry about cadence when looking at the number, so hardly ever when out on the bike.

That being said my average cadence on a given ride seems to be around 85rpm outdoors or 95rpm indoors. Max is around 140 min around 60. Sometimes I honk, sometimes I spin, mostly I do what my legs feel is acceptable 😂

Lovacott

Über Member
Sounds good to me.
When i realised i could do 100 a minute I was somewhat surprised. Well over 1 a second. I would have expected my legs to be whizzing off in a blur. Shows what a great machine the bicycle is I suppose.
I have absolutely no feckin idea what my average cadence rate is. Up until joining this site last year, I didn't even realise that cadence was an actual thing.

I have absolutely no feckin idea what my average cadence rate is. Up until joining this site last year, I didn't even realise that cadence was an actual thing.
I don't check it often at all, sometimes where i want to ride easily with lots of open road and not in a hurry I might. I don't check an average. Not sure what the point of your post is to be honest, let alone it being a reply to me. Enjoy your cycling.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I find a cadence of between 90rpm and 100rpm is most comfortable for my legs, but I feel it in the extra effort from my lungs / heart. Between 75rpm and 85rpm I find it harder on my legs but easier on my lungs / heart. All of my best w/kg on Zwift have been at the lower more leg burning cadence but I struggle to keep that up for more than 10 minutes at a time - used to be 5 minutes at a time. I look forward to one day completing a whole 20km race at the lower cadence - then I’ll know my training has been worthwhile.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
We all want to go faster and easier and we are all crap at it when we first set out.

For me, if it hurts a bit, I'll put up with it knowing that it will make me stronger.

The overload principle most commonly cited in weight training is applicable to any physical activity. The more of something you do, the better your body adapts to be able to cope with it.
There is always a physiological limit though, no matter how hard you might push. You can get better and stronger from a low starting base, but there's a limit. Accepting our limitations is the way we avoid getting injuries. We push a little bit harder and longer, until the improvements tail off, then you know that's your lot. You aren't going to get any stronger or achieve more endurance.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I find a cadence of between 90rpm and 100rpm is most comfortable for my legs, but I feel it in the extra effort from my lungs / heart. Between 75rpm and 85rpm I find it harder on my legs but easier on my lungs / heart. All of my best w/kg on Zwift have been at the lower more leg burning cadence but I struggle to keep that up for more than 10 minutes at a time - used to be 5 minutes at a time. I look forward to one day completing a whole 20km race at the lower cadence - then I’ll know my training has been worthwhile.
90 to 100 rpm is my comfort area. I do vary the cadence as I go along dropping to 80 at times. So it's 110 when pushing hard for speed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wonder if anyone has ever conducted any proper scientific basis experiments (using oxygen consumption/CO2 production measurement), as to how much energy a cyclist expends merely spinning the cranks at various cadences with no load applied? What I'm talking about is having a rider sat on a static bike with the rear wheel raised off the ground just spinning away at various RPM. That would tell you how many watts your legs absorb without actually propelling the bike along.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I wonder if anyone has ever conducted any proper scientific basis experiments (using oxygen consumption/CO2 production measurement), as to how much energy a cyclist expends merely spinning the cranks at various cadences with no load applied? What I'm talking about is having a rider sat on a static bike with the rear wheel raised off the ground just spinning away at various RPM. That would tell you how many watts your legs absorb without actually propelling the bike along.
I did that during my bike fit today. It felt rather artificial compared with road cycling.

Lovacott

Über Member
You can get better and stronger from a low starting base, but there's a limit.
I'd say that I was 90% where I am today after about six weeks. I say it because there was a very short and sharp hill on my route which my legs couldn't manage in the granny gear and I'd have to get off and walk.

After about a month, I could make it to the top in granny and a few weeks later, I was doing it around four gears up from granny.

Today, eleven months later, I'm maybe ten percent better.

Sharky

Guru
I'd say that I was 90% where I am today after about six weeks. I say it because there was a very short and sharp hill on my route which my legs couldn't manage in the granny gear and I'd have to get off and walk.

After about a month, I could make it to the top in granny and a few weeks later, I was doing it around four gears up from granny.

Perceived improvements in fitness, are not always due to being fitter. Technique plays a much greater role than you might expect. Learning how to corner, descend, being in the right gear, adopting a better position etc. All things like this help to get you round a course quicker.

I've seen youngsters and newbies come and try our 10 mile TT's. At the start of the season, I can beat them quite easily, but by the end of the season, they have learned how to apply themselves and are beating me significantly.
Absolute improvements to heart, lungs and muscles take years to improve, but once achieved, take decades to fade away as long as you keep using them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I did that during my bike fit today. It felt rather artificial compared with road cycling.

It will feel odd because there's little resistance but it tells you how much energy you're wasting. It's just like revving your car engine in neutral will tell you how much fuel you consume just overcoming the engine's internal friction.
In terms of conversion of food/oxygen into forward motion, the most efficient cadence is the one at which you have the lowest ratio of total wattage to propulsive wattage.

The law of diminishing returns applies, initial improvement large, subsequent improvements tiny. Same as £100 BSO vs £500 decent quality bike vs £10k pro level bike.

Lovacott

Über Member
Perceived improvements in fitness, are not always due to being fitter. Technique plays a much greater role than you might expect. Learning how to corner, descend, being in the right gear, adopting a better position etc. All things like this help to get you round a course quicker.
Without a doubt, I 100% agree.

At least half of my 90% first six weeks of improvement was down to better riding skills.

The first big descent I did, I stayed in the granny gear I'd been on during the climb.

When I got to the valley at the bottom, I stood up to add a bit of welly to get me up the next incline and I nearly went ass over tit because I was still in the granny gear and the pedal offered up no resistance. Since then, I've always changed to top gear as soon as I can before I descend.

I've been monitoring my heart rate, weight and blood pressure since I began though, and I'd still say that I was 90% where I am today after the first six weeks. What has improved quite markedly over the winter though, is my recovery time. A few months back, I'd get home and fall asleep in front of the six o'clock news. Now, I get home and do the window cleaning which she's been on about at me for the last six months.

Top Bottom