Is it an age thing!

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by JPBoothy, 14 Apr 2019.

1. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Not on a Sunday

2. pawl

pawl Veteran

Agree with that I blame the numerous cycling mags and there obsession with with the blurb about inter vals.wattage CO2 max Diets etc etc.Fine if you are considering racing.

Illaveago, Paulus and JPBoothy like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JPBoothy

JPBoothy Senior Member

Yes, that is exactly it in a nut-shell. I like what you say about 'owning your hobby not the other way around'.

Illaveago and Paulus like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    JPBoothy

JPBoothy Senior Member

Yes, I agree about keeping on the go to delay the ageing process. My preferred activity of the moment is the gym and walking (to a Cafe!) and, believe it or not spinning. It doesn't beat the sound and smells of the countryside though but, it is an option in the bad weather.

Paulus likes this.
  5. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Never been a lycra, weight weinie kind of rider although I have a lot of bike specific clothes, partially because temps here range from 10 below to 105 F and as we know, there is no bad weather but only bad clothing choices. I ride every day unless I am traveling, have an all day project or the weather is unsafe. Still enjoy tinkering with my fleet and find having a choice of bikes adds a bit of fun, although if there was only one that would be ok too. I have never raced and only recently have an app that tells me distance, speed, elevation etc. I ride because I feel better, mentally and physically, and unlike running, biking is easy on my geriatric body. I think being outside for an hour or two daily keeps me in touch with mother Earth and away from the internet, another moden addiction. Where I live the only pollution is summer time smoke from forest fires and I have paths and roads to ride that are safe, maybe even tranquil. Fortunately, the Doc says I might have another 30 years left to ride, being only 70, although that seems a little optimistic. I have to say, biking has been very good to me for the last 60 years.

8mph, Zimbob, viniga and 15 others like this.
  6. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

^^^^one like isn't enough^^^

Illaveago and tom73 like this.
  7. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Walk in the countryside for those sights and smells.

8. OP
    OP
    JPBoothy

JPBoothy Senior Member

Yawn Yawn how boring.. The one I tend to hear a lot in work lately is how many meters of climbing somebody has done! If it was free-climbing with just a bit of chalk on their fingers then I would be in awe but, riding up lots of gradual hills over a day and then adding it altogether to give the impression it was one sheer mountain not so much!

Rusty Nails likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    JPBoothy

JPBoothy Senior Member

I'm sure you are but not at the same time :cheers:

12boy, C R and burntoutbanger like this.
  10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

CO2 Max - Is that how fast they can inflate a tyre?:pump:

tyred, Illaveago, Paulus and 4 others like this.
  11. Littgull

Littgull Veteran

Unless it involved repetitive rides up one single chosen hill to achieve the total height of Everest. Granted, still boring but a mega hard challenge!
    https://everesting.cc

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. Littgull

Littgull Veteran

Unless it involved repetitive climbs up one single chosen hill to achieve the total height of Everest. Granted, still boring but a mega hard challenge.
    https://everesting.cc

13. OP
    OP
    JPBoothy

JPBoothy Senior Member

Such as the stairs at home.

Littgull likes this.
  14. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Senior Member

About 7 years ago (53 then) I got very compulsive on my bike and felt that I had to get out as much as I could even just cycling around the estate at night (as it was winter) and that combined with things going on at work and my family, I was on the verge of a breakdown according to my doctor. I loved my cycling and job and it all got on top of me. I took a break from cycling because I needed all the energy I could muster and had time off work. It gave me a chance to slow down and relax and then I was gradually able to sleep again and feel better within myself. After this forced rest I then started riding again albeit gradually and the motivation came back. By this time it was getting into spring and I started to enjoy the countryside and wildlife. I, like many others ride on my own. That way I only have me to pleased when I am out and dictate when I come back. I am not suggesting that you feel the same as me those years ago. I used to beat myself over the head if I did`nt go out or perhaps did`nt set a PB for a route etc etc. Now if I have a slower ride what the heck. I don`t to Strava, never have, but I do keep a log of all my rides only for reference just as I did when I was a runner. I hope you get the motivation back but don`t force it. If you can combine the cycling with say something like photography like the photo challenges on this forum that would be great. The same reason that some people have dogs, just so they can get a walk in, if you know what I mean. Good luck & on a plus side the weather should be getting better.

15. Afnug

Afnug I'll Sithee

Littgull likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice