Is it an age thing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
'Just a bloke with a bike'

Thats me that is, although its a few bikes. Sometimes i ride a lot and sometimes i go weeks without riding. I dont own any lycra and never will do and i rarely wear a helmet. I ride wearing fleeces, jeans and hiking boots when its cold and t shirt, shorts & trainers when its warm. No interest in speed or having to do big miles. I wont own or ride BSO's, but neither do i buy expensive bikes, entry level bikes or low cost used bikes suit me fine.
I like the fact that once i've bought a bike, the ongoing costs are so minimal its insignificant...... whereas my motorcycles & car cost me a lot of money even when i'm not using them.
Bicycles are just something thats enjoyable to use when it suits me, and they're just another one of my means of personal transport.
I have bought my last couple of bikes second hand from ebay/Gumtree for a fraction of what they were worth. Always a Helmet for me though and maybe a sneaky pair of padded shorts under my walking pants to avoid a sore butt.

Smudge

Veteran
I have bought my last couple of bikes second hand from ebay/Gumtree for a fraction of what they were worth. Always a Helmet for me though and maybe a sneaky pair of padded shorts under my walking pants to avoid a sore butt.

Thats the thing.... there isn't a definitive way to be involved in cycling, each individual will have their own uses and buying parameters in this interest. Same as distance ridden, type of bike, spending many thousands or only hundreds, proper cycling gear or normal clothes.
Its all good afaic.
The main thing to do is try to ignore those that believe only their way is the only way.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thats the thing.... there isn't a definitive way to be involved in cycling, each individual will have their own uses and buying parameters in this interest. Same as distance ridden, type of bike, spending many thousands or only hundreds, proper cycling gear or normal clothes.
Its all good afaic.
The main thing to do is try to ignore those that believe only their way is the only way.
Agreed. That is a good guide to pretty much everything in life really. Don't follow like a sheep and just do your own thing (as long as it's legal). The one that always gets me everytime is teenagers and fashion. They will scoff and snigger at somebody bold enough to have an individual style but, they will dress in the exact same trainers/tracksuits/jackets as all of their friends :laugh:

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
I like my recumbent, as well. I've got one of the old Bike-E's, a truly nice version with the air shock at the rear and the single chainwheel.( some had two BB's, and chainwheels). It works a whole different set of muscles while cycling. I mostly use mine on the trails, but I have 38 miles of trails around where I live.

I have always wanted to ask a recumbent rider if it is a bit scary! My heart is always in my mouth (what a strange saying that is) when I see one on a busy road being overtaken by a huge truck. I have a lot of respect for your bravery folks :notworthy:

I'm getting on a bit but still find that I can get that youthful sense of fun on a bike. Seeing how far I can freewheel , standing on the pedals and looking over hedgerows to see what's over there! Stopping to look at wildlife or just to take in the view. I tend to pootle along at my own pace which doesn't seem to have altered over the decades, athough I do get overtaken by people all decked out in lycra and on expensive bikes. If I am on the right bike I may try to tag onto them for a while just to see if I can, but eventually give up as I run out of breath . It's just the fun of it !
As for cycling gear I'm a bit of a mix of things, jeans and cycle clips and a cycle jacket top for the high vis effect ! I wear a cycle helmet mainly to keep the sun off my head. Oh! Sometimes motorcycle gloves. I believe that if I was to fall off that it is best to have a bit of protection .
I have been keeping a record of my mileages. Not outstanding! A bit on the low side. But I find that it is useful and it has shown an improvement over the years.
Talking about cycling has made me want to dig a bike out . Now which one ?

D

Deleted member 89407

It's almost as if I want to go back to the days of just being 'a bloke with a bike' rather than being labelled as 'a cyclist' and hearing people talking about Turbo Trainers and Strava every 5mins.

I will be the first to agree that getting people out of cars and healthier can only be a good thing but, its almost as if its massive increase in popularity has now made cycling feel like a 'sport' rather than a pleasurable 'fun' passtime.
Sorry guys, I'm not knocking your cycling it is purely a personal thing :sad:
I'm in my mid forties and have enjoyed riding since childhood but I haven't been an avid rider all my cycling life. There have been large gaps in my riding history because of other interests etc.

I totally agree about people getting out of cars - there's far too many cars on the roads these days anyway - but I think cycling/riding changed dramatically with the introduction of fitness tracking/mapping software that encourages pushing yourself to be better than the next person, to be KOM and have the best/fastest time because being at the top of the leader board somehow makes that person better than someone else below them. It's obviously not just about that but it certainly plays a very large part of modern day riding. Strava and others like it are literally everywhere. I wonder how riding as pastime would be if these apps didn't exist.

I like riding for the pleasure of it. I don't race, compete, try to beat my PBs, wear lycra or think I am better than any other rider as it's not the way I roll! I like being a bloke on a bike that says hello with a hand wave to other riders as we pass by.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have always wanted to ask a recumbent rider if it is a bit scary! My heart is always in my mouth (what a strange saying that is) when I see one on a busy road being overtaken by a huge truck. I have a lot of respect for your bravery folks :notworthy:

What is there to be scared about? The truck driver will notice them more than they will notice you. See the theory of big.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Unless, of course, the rest of the flock happens to be doing something you want to do, and you like the company. In which case: follow like a sheep. ;)
Yes, very true.. :okay:

Smudge

Veteran
I've also had the perception of someone being more vulnerable on a recumbent, but this is from an onlooker and not with any experience of actually riding one. I guess its because i see the rider so low to the road.
It seems this perception doesn't relate to the experience of riders of recumbents.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've also had the perception of someone being more vulnerable on a recumbent, but this is from an onlooker and not with any experience of actually riding one. I guess its because i see the rider so low to the road.
It seems this perception doesn't relate to the experience of riders of recumbents.
Oddly enough (and I am just an onlooker with no experience too) those big-wheeled high recumbents look scarier than the low ones to me.

One day I must find a way of having a go on one.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

It's the opposite, it's scarier for upright riders as they get noticed by drivers far less.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Like re-learning cycling all over again, takes about a month of riding to get comfortable. I was riding around the block after about two hours of riding around like a 4 year old, about 20 feet and catch myself, then repeat. But you soon re-orient your balance. A pennant helps with visibility, although I mostly ride the recumbent on trails.

Top Bottom